What is Diageo Consumer goods?
Diageo Consumer Goods is a worldwide company featuring in both the London and New York Stock Exchanges. Formed in 1997 by a merger between GrandMet and Guinness, Diageo is the world's leader in premium drinks distribution, boasting brands such as Smirnoff, Baileys, Guinnesss and many more. Diageo now employs over 24,000 staff, and operates in 180 global markets in 80 different countries, with manufacturing facilities in the UK, Ireland, the US, Canada, India, Australia, Latin America, Africa and across Europe. It has quickly established a reputation of excellence against its competitors.
What roles are available at Diageo?
Diageo offers graduate schemes in Europe in the following areas: Sales and Marketing; Human Relations; Global Supply Chain.
Application process for Diageo.
Applications must be made online through the Diageo website; CVs sent via post or email will not be accepted. Diageo's application and interview process follows the following structure:
- Application form to be filled out online - Personal and academic information; competency questions, and CV upload. In some cases, this will be followed up by an informal telephone call.
- Online aptitude test - on-line verbal and numerical reasoning tests.
- Telephone interview - A formal telephone interview, which can be held face to face where location permits.
- Invitation to attend an Assessment day - Here applicants are reassessed on the test conducted at stage two.
- Diageo advises applicants to take their time over the questions in the online application, and to ensure that all information provided is correct and up to date. Only a third of applicants reach the telephone stage, so it's vital that applicants think through their answers and provide original responses where available. A word limit exists, so applicants must demonstrate their ability to find and convey the important information in the best way possible.
- Successful applicants will be emailed a link to the online tests, and will have a maximum of 5 days to complete them.
- Successful completion of the online tests will see candidates offered a formal telephone interview which will generally last between 30-45 minutes. Competency questions will be asked, and applicants are advised to use different examples for each question, calling on their time in academia, work, or personal involvements to answer the questions. Candidates will be notified within two weeks if they are to be invited to the assessment centre.
- The assessment centre follows the following structure:
- Competency based interview
- Role play
- Group discussion exercise
(No additional preparation is required before attending the assessment day.)
Entry requirements and type of person suited for Diageo.
Diageo encourages applications from people from any walk of life. Academically, Diageo looks for candidates who have, or are expected to receive, a minimum of a 2:1 degree (no discplines specified) from a recognised university, and a solid academic record. Personally, applicants need to be motivated and committed to a career in the commercial industry, as well as having good commercial and financial awareness. In addition, excellent team working skills are highly desireable. A genuine interest in the area applicants are applying for is also required, which can be demonstrated from relevant work experience, internship roles or voluntary work (where appropriate). Eligibility - Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK without a work permit, possess a full, clean driving licence, be fluent in English (and the language of the country they wish to work in if applying for a European scheme).
Future prospects and training at Diageo.
The duration of all schemes is three years; during which time, graduates will complete two or three rotations of between 12 and 18 months in different areas of the business area they have applied for. The training offered on the graduate schemes is tailored to offer applicants the opportunity to maximise their potential and progress at their own rate. There are training and development programs, aiming to develop the functional skills to perform roles effectively and improve their individual capabilities, such as leadership and team work. Direct involvement in real roles, offers the opportunity to deal with real challenges and gain vital experience. Buddies in the first year and a mentoring system for the full three years are also in place to aid graduates in their duties every step of the way.
Other comments about Diageo.
Diageo also recruits a small number of applicants each year to work within their European offices, located in
If you have applied to Diageo, we would like you to hear from you. Please use the following form to detail your experiences of application, to aid those interested in following a similar career path.
Position applied for:
Year of Application:
What were your experiences of the application process?
What is it like working for Diageo?
How has it compared to your expectations?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
Finally, any advice you would give to potential applicants?