- Application deadline: Next cycle applications open August 2009
- Starting salaries: £20k
- Regions: Nationwide
- Industries: Finance
- Website: http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/
- Email: N/A
- Telephone: N/A
- Address: N/A
What is HSBC?
As well as being a recognisable high street bank in the UK, HSBC is one of the world's largest financial service providers with a truly global presence, with more than 330,000 employees in over 80 countries. HSBC combines its global reach with local knowledge, enabling it to offer the most suitable and in depth financial advice to all its customers, both individuals and international corporations.
What roles are available at HSBC?
Management positions in Commercial, Executive, Operations and Retail.
Application process for HSBC.
Apply online by going here.
Entry requirements and type of person suited for HSBC.
- Commercial Management - A minimum of a 2:1 degree in any discipline and grade A GCSE Maths and English Language is essential. National mobility and driving licence required.
- Executive Management - A minimum of a 2:1 degree in any discipline, and a minimum of grade C at GCSE Maths and English Language. National mobility required. At least two months customer related work experience, be it face to face or over telephone (this can be part-time or voluntary, and need not have been a continual two month period), plus evidence of at least one position of responsibility, eg. head boy, society president etc. is also required.
- Operations Management - A minimum of a 2:1 degree in any discipline, though it does require a minimum of 60% in a numerate subject/module studied as part of the course. Full national mobility required.
- Retail Management - A minimum of a 2:2 degree in any discipline and a minimum grade C at GCSE Maths and English Language. At least two months work experience and one position of responsibility as laid out above is required. Full national mobility required.
Future prospects and training at HSBC.
- Commercial management: The two year course begins with a work placement, developing graduates' customer service and technical skills. This is followed by taking on a more senior position involving relationship management and developing business knowledge. The second year sees graduates work alongside an existing commercial manager to gain experience of the role, while the end of the programme sees graduates deputise for a commercial manager, concluding the training by putting what they;ve learnt to the test.
- Executive Management: The two year course is made up of four 6 month placements - retail banking, commercial banking, head office and then a leadership placement.
- Operations Management: A two year fast track programme comprising of four assignments in different business areas, providing graduates with a wealth of experience across the business.
- Retail Management: The two year course sees graduates spend the first year gaining valuable first hand experience in branch. The second year allows graduates to develop leadership and management skills, taking up senior roles opening graduates up to the world of management and motivation.
- Alongside all schemes, HSBC runs relevant training programmes to further develop individual and technical skills. On completion on training programmes, graduates will be ready to take on management roles with a view to senior management for the most suitable candidates.
Other comments about HSBC.
If you have applied to HSBC, we would like you to hear from you. Please use the following form to detail your experiences of application, to aid those interested in following a similar career path.
Position applied for:
Year of Application:
What were your experiences of the application process?
What is it like working for HSBC?
How has it compared to your expectations?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
Finally, any advice you would give to potential applicants?