- Application deadline: Not-Specified
- Starting salaries: Competitive
- Regions: Nationwide, mostly London
- Industries: Technology, Defence
- Website: http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Home/
- Email: N/A
- Telephone: N/A
- Address: N/A
What is the Ministry of Defence?
The Ministry of Defence is an organisation made up of a large team, including a significant number of scientists and engineers, whose job it is to develop and test a range of new gadgets and technologies to aid national defence services, and help run the nation's military services - including managing budgets and coordinating operations.
What roles are available at the MoD?
Mostly Engineering and Science based roles.
Application process for the MoD.
Apply via the civil service fast-stream website, here.
Entry requirements and type of person suited for the MoD.
Entrants must have British Citizenship.
The Ministry of Defence specifies that applicants to the BGS should have a 2:1 minimum degree in a Business or related subject. Applicants for the DESG require a 2:1 minimum in a Science of Engineering based subject. For the fast track scheme, a good degree in any subject is required. All roles require excelent communication and team working skills, as well as high levels of enthusiasm and determination.
Future prospects and training at the MoD.
As well as running a fast track scheme for graduates applying for entry level jobs, the Ministry of Defence also runs a Defence Engineering and Science Group (DESG) scheme and a Business Graduate Scheme (BGS), designed specifically for graduates of related subjects.
- Those applying to the fast track scheme have excellent early promotion oportunities in a range of industry areas. A mentoring scheme is in place for graduates to liase with an experienced professional and receive guidance in their work. The training aims to increase graduates' communication, leadership, team working and management skills, as well as giving them a sound industry appreciation. There are also opportunities to spend some time within the RAF, Navy or Army to build up experience.
- Those applying to the Defence Engineering and Science Group Scheme will undergo two years of training before receiving their first post. The training process follows the same structure as the fast track programme.
- Those applying to the Business Graduate Scheme will take part in a number of nationwide placements designed to develop the necessary leadership and communication skills required for a management role. Graduates are assigned a mentor to offer personal support and guidance, while they will, in the first year, work towards industry relevant qualifications alongside training.
Other comments about the MoD.
If you have applied to MOD, we would like you to hear from you. Please use the following form to detail your experiences of application, to aid those interested in following a similar career path.
Position applied for:
Year of Application:
What were your experiences of the application process?
What is it like working for MOD?
How has it compared to your expectations?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
Finally, any advice you would give to potential applicants?