• Parents learning allowance

Parents’ Learning Allowance

Students with dependent children

Parents' Learning Allowance helps you to buy books and equipment, off-setting some of the additional costs of being a parent.

You can apply for Parents' Learning allowance when completing your main student finance application.

Parents’ Learning Allowance
What's it for? Helps with course-related costs if you have dependent children.

You can apply for the Parents’ Learning Allowance even if you don't get the Childcare Grant.

How much can I get? The amount you can get depends on your income and the income of your husband, wife or partner (if you have one) and any dependants. You can get up to £1,508 a year.
How's it paid? Usually in three instalments, one at the start of each term, direct to your bank account in addition to your other student financial support payments.
Do I have to pay it back? No, unless you've been overpaid.
How will getting this grant affect my entitlement to benefit? The Parents’ Learning Allowance will not be taken into account when Jobcentre Plus or your local authority’s housing benefit teams are working out your other benefits.

HM Revenue & Customs will not count any Parents' Learning Allowance you get when working out your entitlement to tax credits.

For further information:
Visit the Student Finance England website for advice on the Parents' Learning Allowance
Download the Student Finance England guide to Childcare Grant and other support for full-time student parents in higher education

Try Learn together, TSR's study area

revision notes




a study planner

of discussions

Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE