Architecture degree personal statement example (1k) Kent offer

I have travelled frequently and each journey has been enlightening in shaping my interest in Architecture and exposing me to various types of design, using a range of materials depending on the environment. I have observed that each place has its own definition of architecture, whether it is a Sky Scraper in London or a hurricane resistant residence in St.Kitts, the contrast is vast but it is appropriate for the landscape and natural disasters. Concerning materials I would love to work with ice; I feel it has a natural beauty the way the light travels through it. On an ordinary basis I love the aging of copper, the green that it evolves to is beautiful. It gives a structure personality as it changes over time.

To produce something that lives on for a life time, which manipulates space, interacts with the people within it and forms a memorable experience for them, would be incredible. During GCSE Art I felt a small scale of this feeling, a marker pen portrait of an aged man’s face was continuously praised. It was exhilarating! This was a piece that was completed by me, but contributing to someone else’s art, and adding to a building’s history, is an interesting thought too. I wish to learn to adapt and utilise structures that were once lively but have grown dormant due to our modern world. Architecture has steadily changed from creating to regenerating and will continue to develop as new materials and methods are discovered. Structures that were not initially inhabited becoming residential, interest me, such as Water Towers. One of my favourites is the House in the Clouds in Suffolk, which was initially designed to look like a house. Things like this bring a bit of humour to Architecture.

During a DT project I produced an essay on the Architect Le Corbusier, who saw Architecture in a unique way that many did not agree with. The piece he created that inspires me most is the Chapel of Notre Dame du Haut, the manner in which he uses tiny holes to allow light in, and manipulated it from a narrow start to a vast opening is an innovative way of creating atmosphere, and in turn enhancing the spiritual experience of worshipers. My subjects demand problem solving skills, specifically Design Technology where we design an item and then figure out how it can be produced, doing this alongside maths and physics is a refreshing break, which allows me to express my creative side.

Leading my High School’s first Year book, gave me an opportunity to take control, cooperate with different people and have fun at the same time. We had to work to very tight deadlines and overcome conflicts, but it was an experience I hold on to as one of my best. I took the opportunity to interact and make connections with people that were not in my age group by joining girl guiding, some of whom I am still in contact with today. I feel this played a huge part in my life as I was able to open up to people and work well as a member of a team, during camping and hospitality events. At home my time is spent sketching; knee deep in a rainbow of chalks; or baking and decorating cakes. Alongside these web building; using CSS and HTML coding; helps clear my mind. Having a vague idea and then developing it into a website excites me, I can spend a month or two editing one section until it is perfect.

The idea of pursuing higher education is exciting and a natural progression from my current studies. I will be the first to attend university in my family and my parents are supportive of my education, they have played a significant role in guiding me. I have worked hard to overcome my health issue and have made them extremely proud of my achievements. My wish is that I can act as a positive role model for my younger siblings and inspire them to pursue higher education in the future.

• University of Kent (K100) - Offer (AAB) Firm
  • University of Nottingham (K100) - Offer (AAA) Insurance
  • University of Cambridge (K100) - Interview - Pooled - Rejection
  • University Nottingham (K230) - Offer (AAA)
  • University of Edinburgh (K100) - Rejection

• A2 Grades
  • Maths - A*
  • DT - A
  • Physics - C
  • AS Grades
  • DT - A
  • Further Maths - A (Completed in Year 2)
  • Maths - B
  • Physics - C
  • IT - C