Architecture degree personal statement example (1l) Newcastle offer, with review and advice

The unconventional harmony between mathematics and design has been the essence of all my fascinations, from George Dvorsky's paper on biotechnologies to the architectural structures in Singapore's Gardens by the Bay, and by embracing an architectural course I know it will provide me with the blend of mathematics and design that I so long for. Since GCSE Product Design I found that I loved inventing things, and more importantly designing on colossal scales to impact upon society. My continued study at A-level heightened my love for structural design, and also for written investigation of designed structures. An architectural degree is the gateway if I want to further delve into what I love.

My A2 project for Product Design has given me the freedom to explore the curiosity I have towards renewable energy and the built environment by designing and making a renewable energy sculpture for East Park in Hull. Already, with my Physics A-level, I know how the Photovoltaic systems are used in solar panels and how magnetic rotors are used for wind turbines. This led me to the architectural base of Hull, the ARC. Here I talked to the members and affirmed a contact for my project. He has given me insight into what a career of Architecture would encompass and has also shown me how remarkably imaginative you can be with the actual formation of the surrounding environment. This whole experience has elevated my anticipation for this course and to be able to design beyond small-scale sculptures.

I recognise that this course will push to the limits of my confidence with the continual expectation of presenting my design ideas, and will demand that I have an unfaltering approach each time. This skill began to interest me while concluding my coursework for AS Product Design when I won the point-of-sale competition. In addition to the coursework Ideal Standard holds a competition where the students must produce a presentation to sell their final design idea. This is presented to a panel from Ideal Standard alongside teachers and students. While planning my presentation I took it from an angle which would play to my strengths, this included my experience with animation and with various computing software. This proved to be an intelligent move when their feedback praised my stimulating performance and they awarded me with first place. Nevertheless, to me this only highlighted my desire to mature my communication skills and I believe this course will become invaluable for this maturity.

In conjunction with my experience of animation I am comfortable using CAD, and all Adobe programmes including Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver. These skills originated in my childhood, when making artwork using these software packages, consequently I am naturally quick to adapt to new software that I am introduced to, like Pro Desktop in GCSE. Though I still see the worth of traditional design communication, I also foresee a shift to more digital methods in the future, and this is why I am thoroughly excited to see what new software I will use on this course and what I can do with them.

During AS there was a crossover module concerning classic mechanics which was common to both my Physics and Maths course. What I found interesting was not only predicting motion and impacts, but the differing perspectives each course gave. With Maths describing the complex interactions through algebra, and Physics exploring these mapped motions within daily life. This was a unique experience which combined the theoretical with the practical to form conclusions.

In a similar vein to a recent life drawing course I have enjoyed at college, I am looking forward to the activities on offer at university. I am keen to develop my art skills further and in addition hope to join a mathematics society. This alongside the challenges of a degree will promise to be wonderfully engaging and hopefully will lead onto postgraduate study and a fulfilling career that enables my ideas to blossom.

• Bath (Architecture) - Rejection
  • Newcastle (Architecture) - Offer (AAA) Firm
  • Glasgow School of Art (Architecture) - Rejection (due to not making it clear I had work experience :( this is IMPORTANT!)
  • Sheffield (Architecture and Structural Engineering) - Offer (AAA)
  • Nottingham (Architecture) - Offer (AAA or A*AB) Insurance

• Art (AS - a)(A2 - A*)
  • EPQ (A2 - A*)
  • Product Design (AS - a)(A2 - A)
  • Maths (AS - a)(A2 - C)
  • Physics (AS - b)(A2 - D)
  • General Studies (AS - c)(A2 - D)

Writing a personal statement was daunting and sometimes you don't know what to write. However it is best to sit and really think about you and what makes you up, then apply this and reason how this makes you better than others :) Make sure you read all info on specific universities websites to make sure your personal statesmen fits the requirements! Plus don't be something you are not, so please don't talk about architects you've only just read about on Wikipedia!!! It's much better to talk about a favourite artist or book. (As long as you link it :) )

For me, my A2 grades really dragged down my overall grade in most of my subjects and this was a combination of taking too much on; ambitious art and EPQ projects; and life dramas. So I applied with AS grades of AAABC (Art, Maths, Product Design, Physics and General Studies). This meant I was really worried about getting in! However I got my firm at Newcastle and I love it here :) I also applied quite late due to being indecisive so that cut off certain universities. I did not have to create any portfolios! Such a surprise. I wish I had not applied for the Sheffield course or Bath as ultimately there appreciation for high technical involvement reduced the amount of creativity in course. Also, in retrospect, I wish I hadn't overlooked the possibility of doing Fine Art because this was probably driven by other people's opinions. Though message me if you want to know how 'arty' the course is. Architecture at Newcastle can be really linked to the art department (this is if you choose to do this, you can also make your work incredibly 'technical', or both).

I did not make it clear enough about work experience and I think this is why I got a rejection from GSA. They require certain things to let you to the interview stage and I did not pass, the letter they sent to me about the rejection suggested that it was this combined with my later application. Possibly same for Bath. I included a heavier amount on maths and science in my statement as I enjoy this and also I wanted a course which looked at architecture alongside technology. This is not necessary. I think my mentioning of life drawing classes was useful and also the qualification I got from that. Also doing the EPQ and getting such a good grade really helped my application :) Hope you find this useful, message me questions. I know what it is like going through all the crazy deciding! Too much to think about.