Biology degree personal statement example (1r)

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

Ever since first studying biology it has been my favourite subject; but after attending my first AS lesson and learning more about the composition of the cell—a hectic yet intricately linked system of organelles, membranes and proteins—I knew that I wanted to learn much more about the cell—one of the fundamental parts of which all living things are made. The combination of organelles working in unison to create and export proteins; the sophisticated methods by which cells interact with each other; the workings of mitosis and cell division; all these ideas have pushed me forward to learn more about the topic as a whole and hopefully one day work in this rapidly evolving area of science. Cell biology, molecular biology and the chemistry behind the cell have since fascinated me with their complexity, and this has inspired me to continue these studies onto university level.

To expand upon my knowledge I have visited the Centre for Life laboratories, working on various practicals ranging from chromatography to studying bacteria. I also attended a science enrichment programme, based around biochemistry, genetic engineering and microbiology. In the week long programme I participated in several practicals including electrophoresis, generating electricity from microbes, bacterial genetic engineering and enzyme-linked immunosorbant assay. I also received a silver crest award for work involving enzymes and their denaturation. To further my knowledge, I have read several books outside of school, including Introductory Microbiology, by J. Heritage, E. G. V. Evans and R. A. Killington, which fascinated me with the depth and broadness of the microbial scale. Elegant Solutions, by Phillip Ball, showed me how precise experiments can sometimes have to be and the sheer ingenuity involved with them and How We Live and Why We Die, by Lewis Wolpert, let me explore my infatuation with the cell in an accessible and interesting way. Also, to boost my understanding of chemistry I attended a lecture regarding spectroscopy at Newcastle University. I also manufactured organic molecules in a lab at this venue, which has given me experience of lab etiquette and the nature of laboratory work.

Currently I am preparing to undergo work experience in the Centre for Life, which I believe will give me experience of teamwork within the lab environment, sound knowledge of the procedures within the lab and will allow me to get a view of how biochemists conduct research and how they formulate and test their hypotheses. I previously attended a work experience with Gateshead council during their healthy school week initiative. This involved me taking on various roles within the council, including building and setting up computers as part of a team in primary schools and acting as a steward for a sports day. I am also beginning an Open University course about molecules, medicines and drugs, which will allow me to appreciate the chemical effects of modern day treatments and understand them on a molecular level. This course will allow me to demonstrate my time management abilities, my enthusiasm for independent study and my promptness when faced with deadlines.

For five years I played clarinet in the school band and learning an instrument has taught me discipline and perseverance. I have been a member of our school science club for several years and have engaged in various practicals which have shown me how enjoyable some aspects of science can be. I have also been a member of our school Café Scientifique team, involved with contacting guest speakers to perform talks about new areas in science for our school.

My dream job would be to work as a research scientist at the forefront of biological research, not only because it is a field which excites me, but that through research I will not only learn about this field but also contribute to it and help build up the knowledge within it.

• University of Cambridge (Natural Sciences (Biological))
  • University of Edinburgh (Biological Sciences)
  • University of York (Biochemistry)
  • Imperial College, London (Biochemistry)
  • University of Sheffield (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology)