Biomedical sciences degree personal statement example (1d) work experience

Since my childhood, I have always been fascinated by the world of natural sciences. I have also been inspired by my cousin who studied science at A levels and got a degree last year which made me realise how much of an exciting profession it really is. I am an extremely enthusiastic and passionate girl who is keen to choose an occupation which could bring biology and chemistry in collaboration.  The subjects I studied at A levels are Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Urdu. In biology, my favourite topic has been genetics. It was really surprising to know that only a single genetic mutation can lead to a completely different amino acid being coded. Studying about amino acids and bonding in DNA also combines it with my other subject areas chemistry. The most fascinating topic I found in chemistry was the transition metals and their colours. I studied physics in my AS levels which developed my numerical and mathematical skills. By studying language subject Urdu at A levels has developed my communication abilities. In future this will aid me to communicate with those people who can speak Urdu but are not great in understanding and communicating in English. I have always been curious in taking part in experimental work in a laboratory. It helps me to learn how to deal with sensitive equipment. The experiment I relished the most in chemistry is making aspirin which takes my interest towards pharmaceutical and medicinal sciences. I have also enjoyed the experiments on transition metals and how they change the colours. I have learned various practical skills by doing some experiments in physics about resistance and flow of current.  I have attended several lectures at universities regarding my studies that have helped me rising my communication skills. I have been on a trip related to my subject physics in which I learned different aspects of physics. I attended a lecture related to my subject chemistry in which I learned some fundamental principles of chemistry. By attending such lectures we improve our communication skills by communicating with the students from other collages. I have also attended science focus club in which I learned about radio therapy and scanning.  I have done work experience on a pharmacy which has helped me in gaining confidence and has improved my communication skills. My responsibilities included checking the invoices, shelving the medicines, working on the till and communicating with the customers. This work experience has helped me to learn how to deal with the problems and troubles in real life.  Extra-curricular activities are really essential to refresh our minds for which I took part in a badminton competition. By doing extra-curricular activities, we also learn the abilities of team work. I have been accelerated reading mentor for younger students in which I have to help them in reading English. This has improved my self-confidence and communication skills as well it has improved my English language. My aspiration is to work in the laboratory working with medicines and carrying out tests for blood transfusions, taking a look at samples from patients who may have overdosed and also investigating some of the major medical conditions including: Cancer, diabetes, and other such illnesses. In conclusion, I am extremely eager on experimenting with both biology and Chemistry and taking my passion to the next step and accelerating in my career. Thanks for taking out your time and reading my personal statement, I hope to study at your university soon.

• Manchester Metropolitan University
  • University of Salford
  • University of Bradford