Computer science degree personal statement example (1s) SQA Advanced Highers, Imperial offer

When I was a young child, I received my first computer and was instantly fascinated. I enjoyed blindly configuring the OS, making it work the way I wanted, and then spending hours on fixing the inevitable crashes that followed. Eventually, I took this interest online, helping to fix technical issues that arose in online communities in which I was a member. This led me to administrate a Linux VPS for a large-scale website, which built upon my knowledge of networking and computer systems. As my hobby developed into a passion, I enhanced my programming ability, learning several languages including C#, Java and PHP. In these languages, I began to write small tools and applications, such as a desktop client for an online game that enabled users to access game data more easily. These interests are leading me to apply for a degree in computer science, in order to learn more about the fundamental principles of the field, and to also to enable me to turn my hobby into a career.

At school, I have been able to support and advance my interest. Classmates often ask for help and advice with their computer problems. Diagnosing and solving these problems demonstrates my problem solving and analytical skills, and occasionally, these problems have also required extra research that has allowed me to build upon my computing ability. During my GCSE year, one of my courses (DiDA) required the development of a digital storybook. To improve my product, I applied my computing knowledge and taught myself Flash ActionScript to add interactivity to my story. This allowed the end user to make choices and decisions that influenced the outcome of the tale.

In June 2010, I was selected to participate in the ‘Scottish Space School’ at the University of Strathclyde. One aspect of this course that particularly interested me was a lecture from Kevin Warwick, in which he discussed his research into cybernetics. He described how he had a ‘neural interface’ implanted in his skin, allowing him to control external devices (e.g. light switches and doors) with his mind. This new area of computer science fascinates me, as there is great potential for future applications of this technology. Furthermore, in July 2010 I attended the Oxford University ‘UNIQ’ summer school for computer science. Here, I had the opportunity to learn a new programming language, Haskell. In this language, I implemented some interesting mathematical algorithms, including various encryption schemes (for example, the Caesar cipher and RSA). Haskell particularly engaged me, as I found the expression of mathematics to be much simpler and much more powerful than in languages such as C#. Part of this course also involved working with a group of other students, which allowed me to develop my skills in teamwork. After the course, I was also intrigued to learn more about cryptography, which has led me to read “The Code Book” by Simon Singh, in order to broaden my knowledge. Participating in this summer school has further reinforced my passion for the subject, and has made me even more determined to apply for a computer science course.

Additionally, during June 2008 I completed two weeks of work experience at a primary school, and more recently, I volunteered for my school’s paired reading programme, which helps less confident younger students to develop their reading ability. This helped to develop my interpersonal skills; an aspect that I believe is vital in computing, where cooperation and communication is critical to, for example, software development projects.

I eagerly await progressing to higher education in order to broaden my knowledge of my field, exploring new areas of computer science that I have not yet studied, and also to learn of the mathematical principles behind a subject that has such a large impact on modern society.

All universities for Computer Science or Computing. Offers were made in regard to SQA Advanced Highers (Scottish Qualifications).

• Imperial College London - Offer (A1AA) Firm
  • University of Southampton - Offer (AAB)
  • University of Edinburgh - Offer (Unconditional) Insurance
  • University of Glasgow - Offer (Unconditional)
  • University of Cambridge - Rejection after pool

Advanced Highers:

• Computing - A2
  • Mathematics - A2
  • Chemistry - A2

Highers:

• Computing - A1
  • Mathematics - A2
  • Chemistry - A1
  • English - A1
  • Physics - A2

Reviewer comment:

• Great to see interest explored early on in the start of the personal statement showing the applicant going further into the subject

• Paragraph about GCSE project is very good, building on interest and how they incorporated this into their project.

• Excellent section about attending a lecture, clearly shows what interested them on the trip and why.

• Good length of extra-curricular section

• Final sentence sums up the application very effectively

• First paragraph is a bit long and can be more concise

• Some sentences are a bit too long

Find expert advice on writing an excellent personal statement over on The Uni Guide.