Computing degree personal statement example (1c) MEng, Imperial applicant

Since primary school, I have used a range of software to aid in my studies, such as word processing, spreadsheet and database packages, in addition to the operating system and internet browsers. As a result I have used computers almost every day in some shape or form. Whilst doing my Physics coursework, I attempted to teach myself extremely basic HTML so that the sources and web based references I used were easily accessible from one self made webpage that I could easily change.

Ever since I first encountered computers, I found myself intrigued by them, such as their applications in the wider world. Computers have developed at such a pace that they now play an increasingly more important role in our daily lives. The fact that computers and computer systems are present in all shapes and sizes throughout society fascinates me. For example in Medicine, supercomputers are used to process the vast amounts of data collected in medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET) and computed tomography (CT) scans.

I have always been interested in Mathematics, especially the decision and discrete Mathematics module I undertook at AS-level. Computing therefore, seemed a logical choice since it applies a high content of mathematical theory to various uses, in the form of algorithms in programming and codes, for example.

Imperial's reputation as one of the leading research institutions in the country and perhaps the world, interests me in particular since this would ensure that the material taught in the Computing course is up to date and relevant. In addition, I feel that the course structure and the 'problem solving' oriented approach to teaching suits my own style of learning. The possibility of an industrial placement in between the third and fourth years of the MEng degree is also attractive as this would allow me to gain invaluable experience of the workplace before graduating. Furthermore, the option to specialise in one of a number of areas such as Artificial Intelligence or Software Engineering is extremely appealing.

Outside of my studies, I am an accredited England Hockey Level One Umpire, and have recently officiated at the South Boys U17 County Championship finals. As a Maths Peer Tutor I have aided other students in grasping difficult concepts, whilst enhancing my own understanding. Being appointed as House Captain and Senior Prefect at school have improved my leadership and organisational skills within a position of responsibility and trust. After being sponsored to participate in a Youth Leaders Award by my nearby Rotary Club I had the opportunity to exercise my leadership and teamwork qualities with people that I had never met before. I am also a keen violinist in my spare time and have previously passed Grade 4, which involved dedication and perseverance.

I am currently interested in pursuing a career in the software industry, although I am keeping an open mind. A place to read Computing at Imperial would be the first step along this rewarding path.

• Imperial - Offer Accepted