Dentistry degree personal statement example (1d) work experience

I was startled when I met my grandparents. They were both missing teeth! This was in contrast to the pristine, well maintained teeth we are used to seeing in the western world. They explained to me that access to dental care was rare and they had never visited a dentist. This meeting led me to take an interest in the causes of oral problems and the methods used to treat them. One particular area of dentistry that interested me was the nutritional aspect of it, as well as the dental diseases associated with poor diet and genetic conditions such as acid erosion and Dental transposition. A specific topic which interests me is the impact of adding fluoride to water supplies, as excess consumption of fluoride can lead to dental fluorosis in children. However by not adding fluorine, cases of oral problems in children may rise. Fluoridation of water can also reduce oral health inequalities between the rich and poor, such as those seen in the UK and Nigeria.

I arranged two weeks work experience at a local dental practice. This helped me to understand the different aspects of a dentist in general practice’s work, especially the idea of using “as little drilling as possible”. Observing procedures such as extractions, fillings and the construction of bonded crowns, helped me to understand the wide range of skills a dentist must have. One particular case that interested me was an extraction of a tooth. The patient had a pocket of puss and an abscess forming around the mouth. This meant that extraction was the only option, as antibiotic treatment could not work. The problematic upper molar had 4/5 roots which made the tooth harder to extract. What surprised me was the quick diagnosis of the problem by the dentist and how easily he adapted to solving it. This showed me the quick thinking needed to be a dentist and the precision needed to carry out complex tasks like this. The experience also showed me the importance of a good dentist-patient relationship in performing tasks effectively. If the patient was scared or confused of what the dentist was doing, then they became agitated and uneasy. From this I learnt how dentists use a range of techniques to reassure anxious patients. For example, by engaging in conversations and building up trust, children became relaxed

Also I spent 2 weeks work experience at a local hospital. There, I learnt of the different roles in departments in ensuring smooth running of the wards, allowing me to get a feel of the clinical equipments and non clinical areas of a hospital and helped to develop my organisational skills.

My interest in science led me to work part time at Intech Science Centre charity, an interactive science museum. By working at Intech, I am involved in explaining different aspects of science to young children, running planetarium shows, and interacting with the general public. The job has helped develop my communication skills, as well as having to work in a team environment.

Outside of college, I do a range of activities. I regularly play football and rugby. I was a member of Rugby team whilst at my secondary school and also occasionally help to coach a football team. This has helped me to develop leadership skills, as it requires me to lead drills and activities.

From observing the impacts of poor oral health, to learning how these are treated, I am convinced that dentistry is the career for me. I believe I have the eagerness to learn the different aspects and challenges which I know dentistry will present me with and the skills in order to be able to meet them, and to one day become a great dentist.

• University of Birmingham (Dentistry)
  • University of Liverpool (Dentistry)
  • Kings College, London (Dentistry)
  • Newcastle University (Dentistry)