Diagnostic radiography degree personal statement example (1d)

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

I have a passion for science and always knew I wanted to pursue a career in healthcare. After undertaking triple science at GCSE I have continued to study Biology and Chemistry at A-level, which has further encouraged me to focus on a scientific discipline at degree level. I believe that a Radiography degree will enable me to be qualified in an expanding medical field, allowing me to interact with almost every different aspect of medicine, with an ability to make an impact on other people's lives. As new techniques develop I would be keen to learn new skills in a continually changing profession.

After finishing a two day programme in the Radiology department at the South Warwickshire NHS Foundation Trust it gave me a clear insight into the role of Radiographers. The visit included observation of X-rays within a trauma setting, Computed Tomography, Fluoroscopy and Magnetic Resonance Imaging. I learnt how important it is to adapt procedures dependent upon your patients. I especially enjoyed the fast-paced environment of Accident and Emergency and discovered a Radiographer needs the ability to work within a challenging environment, make decisions independently and have a good knowledge of human anatomy. The experience was invaluable as it provided me with an opportunity to gain an impression of a Radiographer’s profession in action and I am now convinced this is the right vocation for me. Being an active person, my numerous voluntary roles demonstrate clearly my ability to manage time well, prioritise workloads and interact with others. My role as Chair of Wolverhampton City Youth Council for the last two years has involved representing the views of young people at a local level, giving them the opportunity to discuss relevant issues, and influence decision makers. My pro-active approach and commitment has also resulted in my current position as a Youth MP for Wolverhampton, elected by young people from the City. I have enjoyed working with a large variety of people, and positively impacting the lives of young people while continuously developing my team-work skills, public speaking and management techniques. I was proud to be the first person to achieve the British Youth Council's National Youth Voice Award, which recognises the positive contributions of young people.

In addition, I have recently been elected by the Youth Council as a Governor representative on the Council of Members Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust Board - developing my knowledge of the context of healthcare provision and influencing the structure and policies of the NHS. I do this by representing and expressing young people's opinions on a variety of poignant issues surrounding the Primary Care Trust by regularly meeting with Board members. This includes issues surrounding infection prevention, as well as palliative and end of life care. I relish working in a voluntary capacity at a sheltered housing scheme for the elderly listening to their wonderful life stories, which has developed my competency, listening and empathy skills. I also assist at my local primary school after care scheme for children aged 4 -11 years old. I love helping the children with play and craft activities; I take pleasure in interacting with them and understanding their needs. Alongside my voluntary work and studies, I enjoy the theatre, arts and photography. I recently completed a Gold Arts Award qualification - the highest recognition as a creative arts leader. I believe that I would be an ideal candidate for a career in Diagnostic Radiography within the NHS, as a reliable and highly self-motivated individual. I work with attention to detail, have good communication skills and would be able to understand the emotional needs of patients. I am an outgoing person and have a genuine desire to help other people, with an interest in technology it is my ambition to work within a hospital environment to provide an essential service.

• Sheffiel Hallam (Diagnostic Radiography) - Offer (320 points) Firm
  • Cardiff (Diagnostic Radiography) - Offer (BBB) Insurance
  • Leeds (Diagnostic Radiography) - Offer (ABB)
  • Salford (Diagnostic Radiography) - Offer (BBB)
  • Liverpool (Diagnostic Radiography) - Offer (BBB)

• Biology A2 - B
  • Chemistry A2 - B
  • Psychology A2 - A
  • General Studies A2 - C