Digital media degree personal statement example (1a)

Imagination is a wonderful thing. It breed concepts and ideas that when complimented with knowledge, can mould our world into a more radical and entertaining place to be. I hold a great ambition and desire to contribute my two cents to the ever expanding and exciting field of Digital Media. The prospect of a career with such broad exciting potential really attracts me to this area and one I feel I can thrive in.

It was during my days as an immature student (2005-2008) that I discovered my creative streak. Through the tuition of my housemate I picked up the guitar which soon won the lion’s share of my spare time. However, before long I grew unsatisfied learning the work of others so I began trying to write my own lyrics and music. I haven’t stopped since. I find it a great form of creative expression and fancy the idea of creating videos and multimedia to bring ideas to life. Also during my recent backpacking experiences around Asia, Australia and New Zealand I unearthed a passion for photography that I would previously never gave much thought to. But with such beautiful scenic locations in abundance, it was hard not to get the camera out. I became friends with a fellow tourist on my travels who had done a Digital Media course in the U.K. and he really opened my eyes to the sector. I have continued this since and would be eager to learn the professional approach to the art.

I regret not realising this enthusiasm a few years earlier as it may of led me to this point a lot sooner. Electronic & Computer engineering seemed appealing to me at the time as I love technology and would be a self-confessed gadget freak. But if I am honest, ultimately I was not ready for a course so technically challenging and secondly the heavy reliance on mathematical based modules contributed to my struggle. So when I recently decided to return to Higher Education I had to ask myself a few questions.

1. What do I truly and honestly want to do with my life? 2. How can I utilize my skills and interests to achieve my ambitions? 3. Which is the best route to make it happen?

The answers to these led me to pursue a career in Digital Media.

For much of my employed life I have been in the service industry. Most notable would be my four years with Lidl Supermarkets . They place a lot of emphasis on teamwork and organization and it is with these traits I feel would help me in any given project and working with others. In early February I’m due to take a Web Design course over twelve weeks which awards a City and Guilds iTQ Certificate of Unit Credit in Website Software Level 2. And following this I will undertake an ECDL Certificate in Image Editing in order to gain skills and knowledge of Photoshop. In doing these I’m hoping to get a little head start before September.

In conclusion, I deeply wish to be given the opportunity to release my potential in such a creative environment. Embracing the technologies of today and utilizing them to bring to life my imagination is something I would relish. Developing my hobbies and interests into a career gives me great incentive and one I will devoutly strive to achieve.

Thank You For Your Time.

Sean Gallagher