Economics degree personal statement example (1d) Cambridge offer

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements

Every action I have and will ever take in my life can be analysed through the tools of economics. This is true for many sciences; such as Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Psychology, to name but a few. However what sets Economics apart is how it is perhaps the only science that would significantly and consistently improve the quality of my decisions if applied. Further more, what makes Economics truly outstanding is its diversity and broad range of application.

I have recently began reading economic literature, it seems as if the more I read the more enthralling Economics becomes. A novel I have read recently, “Freakonomics" by Steven Levitt, Stephen Dubner, is about the versatility of data, how data can be used to solve complex problems and how data can provoke insightful questions. I remember one night thinking how some lawyers earn a lot of money while others have an average salary, instantly a torrent of ideas washed over me, I realised that this discrepancy in wages is proof that the criminal justice system is unfair and biased towards those who can afford a superior lawyer. So much data could be collected and collated, so many interesting questions could arrive from this study such as do people who are wealthier behave more ethically then those less well off.

I enjoy challenges, the more abstract or harder a concept is the more I will try to understand it fully. As an aside I believe this is why I my GCSE results were not reflective of my AS level results nor of my natural ability. This drive to understand unequivocally is fuelled by my desire for knowledge. When I finish college I will have an A level in Mathematics and Further Mathematics which includes 2 modules of Statistics. My passion for Economics is paralleled closely to Mathematics, this is the reason for why, truthfully, I am immoderately excited about studying the more mathematical facets of Economics such as game theory and econometrics. At AS I took a wide range of subjects; Physics, Mathematics, Business, Economics and Critical Thinking, by taking this wide range of subjects I have been able to hone in on what I am most passionate about. I have always enjoyed learning about Business, but the same can be said for Science and Mathematics, however last year I learnt that Economics is what I love. It has changed the way I view the world, I cant fathom any other course I would rather study. I very often have economic discussions with my peers, which i relish. These range from the shape of interesting supply demand curves e.g. that of Veblen goods, to the most efficient way to run an economy. I am yet to convince my friend that a centrally planned economy will probably never be as efficient as the free market.

I feel that in order to perform at my best it is very important to stay fit and healthy. I go to the gym twice a week and swimming regularly. I do my best to maintain a healthy, balanced diet all of which to my avail and improved academic results. I believe myself to be personable and capable of working well in a team, although admittedly more so as a leader than a follower. I think that my personality is so well suited to a university environment that I will relish all my time there and at the same time, hopefully, I will be able to enrich the time that is spent there for others as well.

When I finish my course at university, I would like to pursue a job in the financial sector. Applying economic principles to markets is something I greatly enjoy. I remember recently reading in “The General Theory” that speculation serves almost no purpose other than providing liquidity for markets. At first I was saddened to learn that my career aspirations were essentially selfish and would create no wealth or benefit to the economy. However on reflection I realised that liquidity certainly has value and is needed in the markets. Reading and understanding “The General Theory” is probably one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I spent weeks reading it and countless hours thinking over some of Keynes more complex assertions. I cannot posture and pretend that I fully comprehended all of it but I can proudly claim to have understood the majority. I believe this will serve me well when I study at university and stand me in good stead. By already having a greater command of economics than is required at A level I will possibly find the gap lesser than that of perhaps some of my peers who have not.

• LSE
  • Cambridge - Offer AABB
  • UCL - Offer AAA/AAB
  • Warwick

Reviewer comments:

• Engaging start of personal statement but avoid listing after the first sentence. Explanations are better than stating items.
  • Good link to books and exploration of items of interest. The reflection on the topics mentioned is very good and shows a depth to the understanding in the subject area.
  • Extra-curricular section is a good length, 20%.
  • Some language tries too hard to impress, make sure it is something you would normally write.
  • Grammar and sentence structure isn't right in places
  • Too much content about A levels
  • Sentence on GCSE performance should be removed

Find expert advice on writing an excellent personal statement over on The Uni Guide.