Economics degree personal statement example (1c) LSE offer

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements

For me, the uniqueness of economics lies in its ability to combine both Arts and Science disciplines. Such a synergy creates a diverse subject which integrates quantitative and analytical skills with a substantial amount of theory. Human behaviour plays a vital role, with models trying to forecast the most probable outcomes, yet there is still scope for a narrow factor of randomness. This inbuilt indefinite nature of economics has inspired me to study this subject at a higher level.

I believe that "respice, adspice, prospice", meaning "examine the past, examine the present, examine the future", is key to the true essence of economics where numerous factors are interlinked with each other. 'The Return of Depression Economics and the Crisis of 2008' by Paul Krugman perfectly depicts this picture. Unravelling the financial downturns that pushed the economic development of Latin American and South-East Asian countries many years back was a thought-provoking endeavour which broadened my knowledge and introduced me to a deeper analysis of financial economics. The parts that absorbed me the most, however, were related to the shadow banking system. I was surprised to learn how great the contribution of the non-regulated institutions was to the global recession and how all their actions had been unnoticed until the crisis hit. In consequence, their intricate activities and eventual collapse exposed the weaknesses of the financial market. Inspired by the complexities within the banking structure, I decided to read Frank Partnoy's 'FIASCO'. Following the author's career in Morgan Stanley I was gradually introduced to the world of derivatives. The thorough explanation blended with a mixture of dry humour and writer's anecdotes further expanded my interest in investment banking. I reckon this book provides a truthful insight into the bankers' daily activities and questions the effectiveness of tougher banking regulations.

As I possess a strong mathematical background, which studying Further Maths has given me, I believe I am well equipped to face the challenge of studying Economics at degree level. I am aware that Economics is strongly related to Maths and for that reason I have studied more rigorously topics that I will further develop at the university level, including calculus, vectors and statistics modules. Moreover, through reading Thomas Andren's "Econometrics" I familiarised myself with the basic concepts of applied mathematics to economic data.

I have taken part in quarterly economics essay competitions organised by the college, winning one and finishing as runner-up in another. I enjoyed the research process and became familiar with new theories and economic history. Similarly, the Economics Club has deepened my fondness for the subject. I created the club website and forum, with the aim of providing study materials and exemplary exam answers for students of my college. This helped me to develop my computer and presentational skills, which I view as essential for university learning.

During this summer I undertook a one-month-long internship at Agribank, the leading Vietnamese banking corporation. Working under the supervision of professional bankers was a stimulating experience, one which provided me with economic analysis and data research tools, as well as introduced me to the financial side of my home country. Frequent interactions with customers enhanced my interpersonal communication skills and improved my ability to work to deadlines.

I am confident that an Economics degree from a well-renowned university will help me fulfil my ambition of pursuing a career in the investment banking industry. At the same time, I believe that I can make a positive contribution to both the academic and social part of the community.

• LSE - AAAE (pass in Further Maths) Firm
  • UCL - A*AAe (A* in Maths) Insurance
  • UCL (Statistics, Economics and Finance) - AAAe (Maths, FM, Economics)
  • Warwick - AAAB (include Maths + Further Maths)
  • Durham (BA, not BSc) - AAA (include Economics).

Reviewer comments:

• Start of personal statement is cliched, this is a very overused way to begin.
  • Great paragraph about wider reading on the subject and the interest of the applicant, this shows an engagement in the subject area outside of school.
  • Too much A-level content.
  • A few randomly capitalised words.
  • Paragraph about internship is very strong because it mentions relevant skills and shows a desire for a future career in the area.

Find expert advice on writing an excellent personal statement over on The Uni Guide.