English degree personal statement example (1l)

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

Literature is prostitution. Argued by French philosopher Roger-Pol Droit, each story is trying to be noticed, is trying to captivate the passer-by. This is what all literature should do. Captivate. Entice. Intimidate. My determination to study English Literature stems from my belief that all great writing, be it prose, play or poetry, excites an audience in some way. My love of the subject is related to the fact that I cannot name a time where literature has not truly excited me, and to dedicate my time to the study of a subject that I am truly addicted to seems only logical.

To expand my knowledge of literature, I have extended my reading from popular fiction to a deeper exploration of classical and modern texts. While studying my A level texts, I often made use of practical criticism textbooks, such as the 'Cambridge Companion to Chaucer' alongside my study of 'The Miller's Tale', to research historical context in depth. I attempt to read a range of the works written by a studied author, for example, the preceding and proceeding tales found in 'The Canterbury Tales' to 'The Miller's Tale', and a selection of works by Shakespeare, including 'Othello' and 'Much Ado about Nothing'.

Recently I have become interested in the role of tragedy in literature and have analysed the portrayal of the 'tragic hero' in depth while working on a dissertation project at college. Using a range of texts - including Marlowe's 'Dr. Faustus' and Miller's 'View From A Bridge' and contrasting them with Aristotle's theories on tragedy, and the heroes of Greek oral tradition, I have explored common assumptions of tragic literature. Knowledge provided by my other subjects has been crucial. Combining information gathered from the texts of Classical Civilisations and analytical skills provided by my study of Philosophy, with a linguistic and literary approach, has enhanced my ability to critically evaluate information and express my ideas effectively.

My interest in literature extends beyond the English canon. I have read several novels in Spanish, including Cervantes' classic 'Don Quixote' and the magical realism of Isabel Allende's 'Eva Luna'. Although I have not had the opportunity to study the language, visiting Russia exposed me to the works of Russian writers, such as Pushkin and Bulgakov. I have since investigated these in translation. Experiencing different cultures has broadened my world outlook, and I am currently teaching myself conversational Russian to further my understanding of the country.

Intrinsically linked to my love of reading is my interest in creative and journalistic writing. Involvement in a creative writing group has allowed me to express creative ideas, enabling a greater ability to talk about literature. This has been supported by participation in debating and public speaking societies. My interest in drama has motivated me to see several RSC productions including 'Twelfth Night', and local productions of 'An Inspector Calls' and 'A Woman of No Importance'. Enjoyment of music has inspired me to learn to play the piano and saxophone. These allow me to express myself and also provide new challenges that I thrive upon. My interest in Tae Kwon Do also constantly requires new skills to be acquired and developed. I currently am at a green belt standard.

I believe that the self-motivated drive and determination I possess would enable me to thrive in an undergraduate environment, and I would benefit from the opportunity to take on the new challenges provided by studying the subject I am most attached to.

Universities applied to:

• Cambridge (Interview)
  • Warwick (Interview)
  • Bristol (Rejected)
  • York (AAA)
  • UEA (AAB) - Accepted and now studying at UEA

• English Literature A2 (A)
  • English Language A2 (A)
  • Philosophy A2 (A)
  • Classical Civilisation A2 (A)
  • English AEA (Merit)