Personal Statement - English Language and Literature 5

English Personal Statement 5

My interest in English is mainly a result of its open-ended nature. There is endless opportunity to interpret ideas and human behaviour, and even the language itself in various ways. Literature is a two-way partnership. Certainly a writer manipulates language to convey ideas, but the success of a text relies on readers attaining a deeper understanding of subject matter, drawing their own meanings and conclusions. I am deeply enjoying Advanced Higher English. I have chosen Henry James' "Daisy Miller" and "The Turn of the Screw" for my dissertation, focusing on his manipulation of narrative perspective and resulting uncertainties about central characters. For my 'Literary Study', I have opted to read Shakespeare’s “Othello” and “Antony & Cleopatra” (having studied “Macbeth” for Higher) and Keats, with whose work I am unfamiliar. My attraction to Shakespeare is rooted in his creation of flawed heroes. The role of Antony as a tragic hero is of critical importance in conveying the key concerns of gender and cultural conflict in “Antony & Cleopatra”. I find that I can draw clear parallels between his personal tragedy and that of Henchard in Hardy’s “Mayor of Casterbridge”, which I studied last year. Simultaneously, the depiction of Cleopatra as a strong female figure contrasts strikingly with other representations of women in literature, such as Tennessee Williams’ creation, Blanche Dubois, in “A Streetcar Named Desire”. I have always been an avid reader, constantly discovering new and exciting areas of literature, and reading widely across styles and periods. This summer I found great pleasure in Wilkie Collins’ classic “The Woman in White” as well as being able to enjoy more contemporary fiction such as “A Clockwork Orange”, which prompted my recent interest in dystopian futures in fiction. Writing has always been my greatest joy, and I strive to improve my abilities through various channels. Last year I took part in two writing events- 'National Novel Writing Month' and 'Script Frenzy'- through which I produced a fifty-thousand-word novel and a hundred-page play. I plan to participate in these events again this year, as I felt having a deadline helped my writing. I recently entered a creative writers' group within Mensa, which I joined in July, where I hope to meet other people who share my passion. As well as producing literature, I also work creatively in the position of chief editor for my school's literary magazine, to which I have often contributed in the past. It is fascinating to get involved with the publication from a different point of view, and I am working hard to ensure that this year's issue is of a high quality. This year I also crossed into unfamiliar territory playing the part of Rebecca Nurse in a production of “The Crucible”. Approaching a drama text from a fresh point of view gave me a far deeper insight than I expected. My ability to manage my studies alongside my busy schedule is a great asset. I have earned my Bronze and Silver Duke of Edinburgh's Awards, and aim to achieve Gold before I leave school. I curl for my school team and enjoy tennis, as well as playing saxophone in an orchestra and singing in choirs. My interest in music mirrors my love of fiction: I listen to music in the same way I read to relax, and I play and compose as a form of creative identity just as my passion for writing is fuelled by a desire to express myself through words. I have always aspired to write fiction for a living. Writing as a form of expression, as well as a personal challenge, seems natural to me. However, it is not the only route which I hope my life will take. I intend to teach English at secondary school level, imparting knowledge and sharing my passion for learning. It is vital that a teacher has a deep connection with his or her subject, and my enthusiasm for English could be invaluable to others. A good foundation in the form of further study at university would help to advance all these aspirations, while allowing me several years focusing on my favourite subject.

Universities Applied to

• Durham University - Offer (AA)
  • University of Oxford - Offer (AAB) Firm
  • University of Reading - Offer (A)
  • University of St Andrews - Offer (Unconditional) Insurance
  • University of York - Offer (AAB)

Grades Achieved

Note that as a Scottish student my grades are in Highers rather than AS levels.

• English (Higher) - A
  • French (Higher) - A
  • History (Higher) - B
  • Latin (Higher) - A
  • Maths (Higher) - A