Personal Statement - French and History

French and History Personal Statement

French is not only the study of a language, but also its people, history and culture. I have a passion for languages, particularly those other than my own as I feel it is an essential tool for bringing countries together, something we take for granted in the 21st Century. The study of French allows me to broaden my horizons and truly appreciate the language, literature and lives of our closest neighbours. History is a subject I am equally passionate about as it provides us with a human perspective on the great legends of antiquity; History is written by the people. It leads us to question our own human nature and how we as a society have developed across hundreds of years of invasion, imperialism and innovation. The study of History shows me the many ways there are to interpret it, clearly illustrating that while it is the study of the past, it is nonetheless subject to how we in the present choose to understand it.

My love for History is not restricted to the confines of the classroom. I have delved into Ferguson's 'Virtual History' where I found his use of counterfactualism a fascinating way of looking at the past, allowing one to pinpoint the deciding factors of historical events by means of alternative factual interpretation. Foner's 'Give Me Liberty' was an excellent introduction to American History, something that I have a particular interest in. His notion of liberty has inspired me to think about the freedom people have been denied over the course of time, from the feudal system to the European slave trade and most recently the end of imperialism. History A-Level has well prepared me for the depth and diversity required of a degree, most notably while studying Anglo-Irish relations alongside the reigns of the Plantagenet Kings. A-Level History has also enabled me to practise the analysis of historiography and develop my own opinions - a task I thrive on.

During the course of year 12 I entered the Oxford French Film Competition. It gave me a deeper understanding and interpretation of French film, requiring me to write an alternate ending to the acclaimed French film, 'On connaît la chanson'. This was an excellent introduction to my study of Kassovitz's 'La Haine', a film which sympathetically portrays the lives of disaffected youths and their isolation from mainstream society. I have also enjoyed furthering my reading of French literature. Camus' 'L'Etranger' enabled me to explore our existential condemnation of freedom and individuality and introduced me to the works of Sartre and Proust. In school I have read Flaubert's 'Madame Bovary' which allowed me to explore the role of women in 19th Century France. I also chose to read Molière's 'Tartuffe' which allowed me to see the connection between French and my third A-Level, English literature. Seeing the way Molière's female characters defy social norms is comparable to the three sisters from 'King Lear' and Emma from 'Madame Bovary'; they are daring, relentless and merciless. English builds a bridge between History and French with the connection between literature and the events of the time thereby inspiring me more to choose a joint honours course.

In August 2012 I spent a week working at a Brussels based children's summer camp where I improved my understanding of French and the confidence with which I speak it. Outside school I hold jobs as a French tutor and as a part-time teacher at my synagogue, requiring me to be organised and efficient as well as a role model to younger children. I have also led a summer camp with the RSY Netzer organisation which required me to work well in a team and as an individual and take leadership initiative. I relish the challenge of undertaking a joint honours course. I have a definite passion for History which, combined with my dedication to French and love of all things francophone, would make me an excellent student for a History and French degree.

• Birmingham - Offer (ABB)
  • Exeter - Offer (AAB)
  • Sheffield - Offer (ABB) Insurance
  • Warwick - Offer (AAB with As in History and French) Firm
  • York - Offer (AAA)

• History (AS) - B (resit grade pending)
  • French (AS) - B (resit grade pending)
  • English Literature (AS)
  • Philosophy (AS)

Predicted AAA