Personal Statement - Geography 12

Geography Personal Statement 12

Climate change, HIV, the economic crisis, starvation: just some of the major challenges facing mankind in the 21st Century. The discipline that enables us to address these issues most coherently is Geography and this is why I have elected to study it to a higher level. My main interest lies in the interface between the two broad concepts of 'people and place', such as natural disaster management or the anthropogenic causes of climate change. The flexibility of Geography and the wealth of enthralling topics on offer are further appealing factors, allowing a degree in this discipline to incorporate both natural and social science modules.

My first year Geography units, particularly in plate tectonics and health, have further enhanced my enthusiasm for the subject. I have read beyond the syllabus on vulcanology in Simon Winchester's 'Krakatoa', an excellently crafted text detailing major geological theories and Indonesian geography in depth, with an insight into the possible future eruptions of daughter Anakrakatau. A fieldwork trip to Morocco was hugely beneficial in extending my practical experience, studying fluvial processes in another continent in addition to a cultural education at a charity funded girls' school, especially important in a country with a low literacy rate. The social aspect of women's lives in Islamic cultures is a topic I have explored further in Khaled Hosseini's 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'. My keen interest in travel stems from my two years living in South Africa and I have amassed an interest in other cultures, so first-hand experience of a new world is something I relish. I am building on this by planning my World challenge along the Asian Silk Route. The diversities of cultures and the dramatic landforms will provide exceptional inspiration for my degree while the preparatory stage of the scheme has aided my organisational and leadership skills.

My study of Geology AS level involves scientific lab work and underpins knowledge for Physical Geography. Studying Maths has boosted my ability to handle and manipulate data and solve problems while, through English I have developed my ability to communicate succinctly with flair. My Extended Project had a tight focus on climate change and the Kyoto Protocol - a key geographical theme which broadened my subject knowledge with regard to sustainability. It taught me vital time-management and independent work skills such as critical thinking, analysis, evaluation and presentation which will be essential for university. This stimulated an interest in developments in the world of climate change and atmospheric science.

At school I was a Student Leader, a mentor and a regular member of the SchoolCouncil which nurtured my teamwork and communication skills through group tasks and presentations to a range of audiences. I achieved 'Best in School' gold awards for the UKMT Maths Challenge in consecutive years and I was awarded an academic shield for my GCSE attainment.

Beyond the classroom I have watched a number of Shell London Geological lectures by top academics. I found the talk on deltas by James Syvitski of particular interest - I learned how dependent the developing world is on these forms. I volunteer at a care home, which is enriching since I get to discover the viewpoint of a rapidly growing demographic. It has also reinforced my communication skills and requires that I am committed, organised and self-motivated. Currently, I write reviews for an amateur music website which stems from my enthusiasm for English and, should my application be successful, I hope to contribute to a university publication. At present I aim to pursue a career in management of natural hazards but first I intend to make the most of my undergraduate experience, through both my lively intellect and vibrant personality.

University of Cambridge - Geography L700 - Offer (A*AA) - Firm

University of Nottingham - Geography F800 - Offer (AAA) - Insurance

University of Manchester - Geography F800 - Offer (AAB) - Declined

Durham University - Geography F800 - Offer (A*AA) - Declined

University of Birmingham - Geography F800 - Offer (AAB) - Declined

Geography (A2) - A*

English (A2) - A*

Maths - (A2) - A

Geology - (AS) - B

Chemistry - (AS) - C

Extended Project - (AS) - A