Personal Statement - History 20

History Personal Statement 20

History has fascinated me from a young age, having been enthralled by various topics in the early academic years; particularly the reign of Henry VIII. Visiting museums further increased my interest in the subject, by bringing many physical elements of the past into the present. Having enjoyed and excelled in the study of history throughout school, I now look forward to the opportunity of a more in depth and advanced academic education. History is of fundamental importance to our society. Knowledge and understanding of the past are vital to establish a sense of identity and to help understand the world around us.

Studying History at A level has been rewarding and fascinating. One area in which I took a particular interest was fascism in Germany. I was especially compelled by the weak political and command structure Hitler implemented, being surprised by the way he personally controlled very little. I previously expected a regimented hierarchy of command. This has taught me to greater challenge my ideas and preconceptions, vital to establish a more open minded view of the past. Through the History A level I have been able to expand my skills of analysis and interpretation.

Reading ‘Why history matters’ by John Tosh has allowed me to gain a greater insight into the clear relevance history, and its study holds upon modern society. I especially found his comments regarding globalisation fascinating and enlightening. As Tosh points out, it is all too easy to forget globalisation has been developing with pace since the 19th century, as opposed to the modern trend the media would suggest. Additionally, I thoroughly agree with Tosh in the importance of considering the past in its own context, rather than grounding historical studies on the present. This is especially important when considering the basis of people’s beliefs, founded by their circumstances rather than our own.

In addition to A level History, I study English Literature, and Government & Politics. Literature has great value to the study of history. Authors commenting on their society are distinctly helpful in establishing an understanding of their time. I particularly enjoyed Orwell’s portrayal of language as a tool of power, something frequently seen throughout history. Studying literature has also led to improvements in my analytical and writing skills, allowing for more coherent and structured arguments, valuable to the study of history.

Government & Politics has also been beneficial in establishing useful skills, especially the development of my evaluative skills, which has proven useful when considering the causes of various historical events. Studying politics has been helpful to my understanding of related topics in history. In particular, it has given me a greater appreciation of the development of women’s rights, especially in their campaign for suffrage in the political sphere. I feel the complimentary nature of my A level subjects, and the skills I have gained, provide a strong platform for the study of history at degree level.

Outside of my studies, I have completed the Duke of Edinburgh award at bronze level, particularly enjoying the challenge of the expedition element of the award. My involvement in the Scout Association has led to my current role as a young leader at a local Scout troop, improving my team work and leadership skills. I also take an active role in the leadership of a Scout shooting club, being an NSRA approved shooting instructor. Being able to improve the shooting ability of myself and others has proven very rewarding. Balancing these activities with my studies has vastly improved my timekeeping.

I aspire to develop each of the skills I have gained so far to a greater extent, and to widen my understanding of history. I am keenly looking forward to this opportunity, and am particularly excited by the prospect of the broad range of topics allowed by university study, as well as new approaches to both history and learning.

• University of East Anglia (History V100) - Offer (AAB)
  • University of Kent (History V100) - Offer (340 points) Firm
  • University of Essex (History V100) - Offer (320 points) Insurance
  • University of Reading (History V100) - Offer (320 points)
  • Brunel University (History V100) - Offer (260 points)

• History (A2) - A
  • English Literature (A2) - B
  • Government and politics (A2) - B
  • Mathematics (AS) - E