Personal Statement - History and Politics 5

Personal Statement

The past is never fixed. History is always open to discussion and revision, and our perception of the past is inextricably linked to the ideas of the people interpreting it. History is one of the central passions in my life and I am determined to study it to as high a level as possible, in order to gain enough understanding to form my own opinions of past events. I am fascinated by the more personal side of the subject, and love studying primary sources to gain an understanding of how it was to live in another time. Studying History at school has given me a greater awareness of the links between events, as well as their relevance to the present. Topics such as Italian nationalism and fascism, the road to World War Two and British social welfare have given me a more rounded, if still incomplete view of some of the key issues in early 20th Century Europe. The growth of Italian nationalism from unification to the rise of fascism, for example, clearly shows how an arguably positive movement can change, given the right conditions, and remains a highly relevant example - and warning - for the modern world. Recently, one aspect of History that has excited me is the evolution of beliefs and cultures. This has been partially encouraged by reading "The Cruise of HMS Challenger" by WJJ Spry. The account has given me a fascinating insight into Victorian attitudes towards foreign cultures, as well as giving a different perspective on society in Meiji Japan, a topic I am studying this year, from the point of view of a Western visitor to the country.

As well as giving me a love of studying past people and events, History has also strengthened my interest in the study of present day powers, causes and effects: Politics. My first real exposure to politics was the 2003 anti-Iraq War protests, and since then I have been interested in the effect that ordinary people can have on government and world affairs. "Naming the Dead" by activist Maya Ann Evans furthered my interest in this, as well as the more domestic consequences of the "war on terror" and the fine line that exists between security and intrusion, a topic on which my Modern Studies dissertation is based this year. I also find the ins and outs of government fascinating, and enjoy seeing the influence of individual politicians on the wider parliamentary context.

An enjoyment of the rigour of academic work has contributed to my desire to study these subjects. I love to learn and to discuss ideas, and have enjoyed writing since starting school. In S5 and S6 especially, I have found a genuine satisfaction in independent study and essay writing. Several work experience placements have also encouraged my interests. Last year I worked for a week with a curator at the National Museum of Scotland. I particularly enjoyed working with the artefacts, as tangible 'pieces of history,' and also came across the Challenger expedition for the first time. In 2008 I shadowed an MSP in the Scottish Parliament for a week, and enjoyed the experience so much that I went back last June for a short placement at the Parliament's information centre.

Outside my studies, I am involved in a wide range of activities. One of my main passions is music, and I play flute and violin. My interest in French led me to initiate an exchange last summer and this has made me want to travel more widely in the future. I also like to be politically aware and was co-convenor of the [exact name edited out, but a local youth anti-war group] branch in 2008, which taught me a lot about organisation.

These commitments have given me the ability to manage my time, to work and think independently and to self-motivate. I believe that I will flourish in a university setting, and will work very hard to achieve the best I possibly can.

• Cambridge (History) - Rejection after interview
  • Durham (History and Politics) - Offer (AAA at Advanced Higher)
  • York (History and Politics) - Offer (AA at Advanced Higher)
  • London School of Economics (International Relations and History) - Rejection
  • Glasgow (History and Politics) - Offer (Unconditional) Firm

• History (Advanced Higher) A
  • Modern Studies (Advanced Higher) A
  • Chemistry (Advanced Higher) B