Law degree personal statement example (3b) Cambridge, Nottingham offers

The diverse and multifaceted nature of the law, as well as the fact that it has an impact on so many different aspects of society is what attracts me to study of this subject at degree level. Although Law is a subject which primarily deals with the rules governing society, the fact that it encompasses aspects from philosophy, politics, economics and other disciplines appeals to me. The law manages to permeate every part of today's world; it is very much involved with, and influenced by, current affairs. Moreover, it is a challenging subject in which I will be required to adopt an analytical approach and to think critically. Reading "What About Law?" and "The Law Machine" has allowed me to gain a deeper understanding of the seven core areas of the law and the way the English legal system works.

Visiting my local Crown Court gave me the chance to observe a few cases: this gave me the opportunity to witness the workings of the English legal system at first hand. I was able to gain a further insight into the practical side of law after undertaking a week's work experience at a barrister's chambers and after taking part in the Allen & Overy "Smart Start Experience". These placements have enabled me to strengthen my analytical and organisational skills as I had to compile reports whilst under a strict deadline, a skill that will no doubt be essential for a Law degree. Furthermore, running a T-shirt company as part of a project called "The Challenge" helped me to improve my time management skills, whilst writing the "News" section of my college magazine allowed me to hone my writing skills. Working part-time for an NGO gave me the chance to improve my public speaking and debating skills as I had the opportunity to deliver presentations and engage in forums on the topic of "Environmental Justice". As part of my work, I travelled to the European Parliament to present to MEPs.

I look forward to the challenge of studying law at degree level and believe that I have the appropriate skill-set to make a positive contribution to university life.

• University of Cambridge - Offer A*AA (Firm)
  • University of Nottingham - Offer AAB (Insurance)
  • University of Warwick - Offer AAAc
  • University of Birmingham - Offer AAA
  • University of Manchester - Offer AAA

• Maths (A2) - A
  • Economics (A2) - A
  • English Literature (A2) - A
  • Further Maths (AS) - A

Reviewer comments:

• Good start to personal statement by exploring interest and linking this to books read outside of school.
  • Lots of relevant work experience explored which shows the dedication of the applicant to the area.
  • Great length of extra-curricular section.
  • It would be better to avoid listing experiences and explore the cases in more detail.
  • First paragraph states a lot about the area but doesn't show the interest of the applicant or why they are interested by the subject.
  • Some random capitalisation of words

Find more help with writing your personal statement

On The Student Room

On The Uni Guide