Personal Statement:Medicine 16

Medicine Personal Statement

The science of medicine fascinates and inspires me; reading StudentBMJ and NewScientist compel me into learning more. A central attraction of medicine is the opportunity to be involved in helping someone to get on with enjoying their life, and to offer support and understanding at a difficult time. Ill health can be frightening, and access to a compassionate and caring doctor can make a significant difference. I want to be able to use my personality and social skills to become a doctor who serves patients effectively

I have been fortunate to have spent 5 weeks doing work experience

After completing a course of immunisation against Hepatitis B, I observed consultations in clinics in an Outpatient department

Dermatology was particularly appealing; I was able to observe skin allergy testing, which produced some conclusive results

While observing a cardiovascular surgeon on his ward rounds, I spent time talking to a patient who had recently had a double above knee amputation as a result of diabetes. She amazed me with her positive attitude, and I was immensely grateful to her for giving me a small idea of what it must be like to face such a crisis. I also learnt a great deal from Mr. Mitchell's PRHO, who gave me an insight into the challenges she faced when beginning her first job after graduation

My time spent on a colorectal ward involved working with the nurses and the HCAs. I was able to help give bed baths, change sheets and learn the best way of putting on pressure stockings! I was particularly lucky in gaining an insight into general practice

I was able to make comparisons between a Bristol inner city and a rural practice on the Isles of Scilly, which I visited while on a family holiday. As in any isolated practice, a great difficulty is being able to visit patients on off-islands, many of whom are elderly

Another challenge faced on the I.O.S is the huge influx of visitors during the summer, causing a trebling of appointment requests! I intend to play an active role in university life. I love being part of a team with a common aim; last summer I spent two weeks on an Outward Bound trek to the Isle of Skye. I have been proud to represent my school in hockey and debating. I was leader of the orchestra for the Sixth form musical, and have played in Bristol Schools' orchestras for the past 9 years

It is important to me to make a contribution to my community. On two occasions I have run in Bristol's 3km Imperial Cancer Research Race for Life. I donate blood regularly. I spent 6 months volunteering every week at a St. Peter's Hospice Shop, as part of my Bronze Duke of Edinburgh's Award; I chose to work for this organisation because my grandmother received excellent palliative care provided by St. Peter's Hospice. I currently work with a severely autistic child every Monday evening at Bristol's Riding Centre for the Disabled

I enjoy babysitting and childminding for several families in my area, requiring responsibility and maturity. I worked at Next over Christmas and New Year, which was busy and demanding

I love to be challenged about my ideas and opinions. I have relished the intellectual challenges offered by Chemistry and learnt how to develop arguments and clarity of expression in History. I am fascinated by the topics studied in Biology, especially body systems

I have developed an interest in the history of medicine, which has contributed to my understanding of the long-standing profession I would so love to join

I think medicine is the most fundamental of professions. I would be privileged to spend the rest of my working life practising medicine; I am aware that I will face significant difficulties and challenges, but I am confident that I will meet them with energy and commitment.

This personal statement has been copied from personal statement 15.