Personal Statement:Medicine 21

Medicine Personal Statement

I have been assiduous in my pursuit of medicine because I am convinced this career will allow me to live a fulfilled life. I am eager to learn the knowledge to help my fellow human beings. My primary goal is to become a GP

Growing up in Sudan I lost a lot of my relatives due to poor diagnosis and treatment by doctors who were inadequately trained and this was the first real trigger for my goal of becoming a doctor. As a young child I enjoyed science avidly and throughout my education science has been my strongest subject academically

As well as my interest in studying biology, chemistry and all aspects of the human body, I also enjoyed interacting with other people. I feel confident in dealing with people I know as well as those I have just met. My communication skills have developed further and in year 12 I gained the Level 3 communication Key Skills qualification.

For my work experience I worked at my local GP's practice and was allowed to sit in some patient-doctor consultations. I observed that communication skills, patience and the ability to generate trust with a patient were essential. I also did some voluntary work in which I visited an elderly pensioner who lived nearby. I found it easy to converse with my 'patient' but at the same time I learnt that a carer/doctor requires a major commitment to objectively care for the patient

I also carried out some work experience in the x-ray department of a local hospital, where I interviewed a doctor. From the experience I realised the mental strength and the demanding efforts my pursuit in medicine will require. I believe I am committed and tough enough to fulfil the demands as I have worked hard to reach this stage and know I can work even harder to fulfil my goal

At school and college I enjoyed being a member of many organisations, from 'gifted and talented' to the 'debating society'. As a member of 'G & T' I organised many charity events, which included summer fetes and working with disabled children. I was also a mentor in which I helped the lower years in the school with reading every morning. I have participated in school shows and musicals which have definitely boosted my confidence

I enjoy playing football and tennis with friends. As a team captain I have gained team-working experience, such as how to improve motivation. I also enjoy going cinema or bowling with friends and family in the weekend. I have good I.T skills and enjoy surfing the internet where I am hoping to make a web site for friends and family

Being raised in an Arab family, speaking fluent Arabic and English, I have experienced the similarities and differences among many diverse cultural groups. This has allowed me to relate to a wide range of people by understanding their ways and beliefs, a quality that will help me work well with patients from many cultures

To me a degree in medicine does not merely mean that I have survived five/six industrious years of medical school and have something to show my family. To me a medical degree has much more significance. A medical degree means that I can make a daily contribution to society by utilizing my education and hard work to help others in need

My aim to become a doctor is imminent; it's only a matter of where and when I complete my journey.