Personal Statement:Medicine 41

Medicine Personal Statement

My motivation to study medicine comes from the desire to combine my interests in the ever-expanding fields of medical science with my need to understand life from other human perspectives. This drive was reinforced by my visit to Christie Hospital where I saw how advances in medical diagnostics and treatment directly impact upon the lives of cancer patients. By becoming a doctor I hope to be able to work at the crux of science and society by pursuing a deeper understanding of complex biological systems, whilst at the same time using my knowledge to make a difference to the individual.

I have undertaken a variety of work experience to try to gain a full and balanced appreciation of the demands of medicine. My week on the Urology ward of ******** Hospital showed me the reality of patient care as I observed routine ward rounds, patient interviews and simple clinical procedures. I saw the trust that patients placed in their doctors, and was deeply impressed by the sensitivity and respect with which all staff responded to this personal responsibility. I was also humbled by the courage and the clarity with which patients talked about their illnesses, and surprised by the humour they displayed when describing their impressions of hospital politics. My work with special needs children on a summer play scheme showed me the valuable contributions of both community support and medical interventions in the long term care of children with conditions such as Autism and Cerebral Palsy. It has highlighted the importance of communication, teamwork, patience and creativity in medicine. This past year I have valued my weekly visits to ********* care home; the resilience of the residents has strengthened my resolve to learn more about degenerative diseases and the possible paths of treatment.

My fascination in medicine's scientific base turned into a passion after undertaking a Nuffield Bursary project this summer in the department of Life Sciences at Manchester University. I investigated the role of JNK protein kinases in brain development using procedures such as Western blotting as part of a phenotypic analysis. The insights I gained into biomedical research puts the articles I read in journals into better context. A doctor has the opportunity to share knowledge with both patients and peers and I have enjoyed communicating science at different levels through interacting with families at neuroscience workshops, participating in help sessions for younger pupils, and presenting an energy policy to experts for my CREST gold award.

I love being actively involved in the school community through diverse projects ranging from school publications to choir performances. My work with the citizenship department as part of a human rights campaign, and my role as a form mentor, have helped younger girls to be more aware of issues in the wider world. I have also organised talks and debates for Medical Society to help others gain a better understanding of life as a doctor. My experience of teamwork and leadership has been broadened through my role as Director of Operations for Young Enterprise. This enabled me to recognise the effectiveness of delegating responsibility according to others' talents, and learn how to overcome limitations on my time by strategic planning. I am fortunate to find reading relaxing and can escape from stress through academic pursuits as well as modern literature, art and music. Outside school I attend lectures as a member of the Manchester Literary and Philosophic Society to be exposed to exciting new ideas in the arts and sciences. My participation in a student conference at the United Nations in New York opened my eyes to the work of the Social and Economic Council in overcoming difficulties that delay the provision of adequate healthcare.

After reflecting upon all my experiences so far I believe that as a doctor I will possess the tenacity, humanity and dedication to excel in both academic and personal challenges.

• Cambridge - Offer Accepted
  • Manchester
  • Edinburgh