Personal Statement:Medicine 89

Medicine Personal Statement

Illness affects us all at some point during our lives. From birth to death, the study of Medicine contributes towards improving the quality of life and the ability of the human body to overcome these illnesses, allowing us to live longer and die more comfortably. Should I be given the opportunity to do so, studying Medicine will enable me to pursue a career which dedicates itself towards caring for others. This is something I feel incredibly passionate about.

I have been fortunate enough to contextualise the knowledge that I have gained during my A-Levels through several work experience placements which I organised independently. Having learnt about the complexities of the human body in Biology, I spent two weeks at the London Chest Hospital, shadowing a cardiothoracic consultant. There, I observed open heart surgery and the remarkable progress made in technology through a TAAVI procedure. This, alongside my two weeks shadowing a consultant urologist, allowed me to build bridges between my A-Level Physics course and medical equipment. An example of this is the development of Cell Savers, which clean lost blood during surgery, using the principle of sedimentation. This analytical skill is fundamental to a doctor’s success because, in most situations, it is not a case of recalling what one has studied during medical school, but being able to apply it practically as each patient is unique. Furthermore, the placements developed my ability to communicate with patients during ward rounds in a sensitive manner. I then organised a two week placement for myself at a General Practice to gain an insight into primary care. What struck me was that, despite television portraying a hospital environment as one that is led solely by medical personnel, teamwork is indispensable. Having been a member of the Army Cadet Force for eighteen months, my ability to work in a team has improved significantly and is continuing to through my pursuit of a gold Duke of Edinburgh’s award. This is further highlighted by the fact that, as the captain of my school’s netball team, I have won several inter-borough netball competitions.

My experiences at St Joseph’s Hospice as part of a project with the National Council for Palliative Care taught me, over the course of the four months which I spent there, that a doctor’s ability to cure is limited. The fact that the patients were deteriorating so rapidly showed me the importance of being able to control one’s emotions. My ability to cope with this pressure is highlighted by the fact that, as a qualified member of the British Red Cross first aid team, I am required to deal with traumatic incidents. Having a second language, Farsi, allowed me to understand the different cultures at the hospice, enhancing my empathetic skills. I was subsequently invited to deliver a speech at the Houses of Parliament to share my experiences. For over six months now, I have volunteered at St Anne’s Care Home which has further developed these skills.

My ability to manage my time effectively without losing my academic focus has allowed me to maintain my extracurricular interests. As a member of my school’s drama society, I have been able to release the stress associated with my academic life in a creative manner. Debating has enriched my ability to communicate coherently and my successes as a debater have led me to receive a Trailblazer award at the House of Lords. Attending medical ethics master-classes and reading journals such as The Lancet, alongside books like ‘The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat’ by Oliver Sacks, have allowed me to explore concepts which extend beyond my A-Level studies, developing my ability to learn and research independently.

I fully comprehend that Medicine is not an easy route to pursue. However, the skills that I have developed through my experiences contribute towards my belief that, not only do I have the determination to succeed at medical school, but the sensitivity and passion to succeed as a doctor.

• Cambridge, King's College (Medicine) - Offer (A*AA) Firm
  • King's College London (Medicine) - Offer (AAAC) Insurance
  • Bart's and the London (Medicine) - Offer (AA in Biology & Chemistry, AC in Maths & Physics) Declined
  • Birmingham (Medicine) - Rejection w/o interview
  • Durham (Biomedical Science) - Offer (ABB) Declined

• Biology (A2) - A*
  • Chemistry (A2) - A*
  • Physics (A2) - A*
  • Maths (A2) - A*

I'm very impressed. Wow.