Personal Statement:Medicine 98

Medicine Personal Statement

I want to study Medicine because it allows me to combine my fascination with Science, particularly with regard to the function of the human body, with its application to important societal problems.

My desire to follow a medical career was crystallised by my work experience placements which have included a week spent in a ward for Elderly Care and Medicine at East Surrey Hospital and a week shadowing the Hepatology team at St. Mary’s Hospital. My time at East Surrey gave me valuable insight into the life of a ward doctor as well as the opportunity to observe how the various healthcare professionals work as a team. While there I became acutely aware of the difficulties faced by the NHS in dealing with an increasing elderly population, especially those with dementia. I encountered one such patient who was very distressed by attempts to insert an IV cannula, exemplifying the importance of communication and the emotional stress facing doctors. While shadowing the Hepatology team I began to appreciate the difficult ethical decisions faced by doctors, for example whether to give a liver transplant to a patient who has alcoholic cirrhosis. I particularly valued the opportunity to spend a day in a gynaecology theatre at Hammersmith Hospital where I saw both open and laparoscopic hysterectomy. As well as clinical work, I also I saw research in the laboratories at Hammersmith Hospital into how haematopoietic stem cells differentiate and discovered how the cytogenetics lab identifies chronic myeloid leukaemia; this showed me how frontline medicine integrates with fundamental science. I treasure all of these experiences as well as the five days I spent attending Medlink in December 2010, which have only deepened my enthusiasm for medicine in all its variety.

I have always been passionate about my academic work, winning end-of-year prizes in Chemistry, Physics and Latin, as well as major awards such as the Vernon Cup (‘most promising science student in years 7 to 11’) and the year 11 Governors’ Prize (awarded to the top student in the year). I won academic scholarships by examination at both 13+ and Sixth Form level and enjoy the challenge of academic competitions, this year attaining a silver certificate in the UKMT Senior Maths Challenge and also a silver medal in the British Biology Olympiad.

In March 2011, I was elected House Captain at my school. As part of the prefect team, my duties include organising activities for younger students and introducing the school to prospective parents. This responsibility has helped develop my communication and organisation skills as well as my ability to work under pressure and to deadlines; for example, successfully organising the House Festival, a performing arts competition.

Spending a month as a volunteer in Borneo with Camps International this summer, working on community projects and wildlife conservation, has helped me become more mature and developed my teamwork skills. Especially valuable was the time I spent teaching English at a local school, where dealing with the language barrier greatly aided my communication skills.

For relaxation I enjoy fencing épée. I have competed in many individual events, finishing 25th in the under 14 girls’ British Championship Final, and placing 5th in the under 16 girls’ Elite Epee Junior Series in both 2008 and 2009. However, I am most proud of being captain of my school’s fencing team at the British Schools’ Championship in 2008 and 2009, and of the under 14 girls’ team representing Tandridge at the Surrey Youth Games in 2007. Despite not being individually the strongest fencers, I led our team to 2nd place in each of these events.

A medical career will allow me to apply my scientific knowledge and to use my teamwork and problem-solving abilities to benefit others. I do not underestimate the challenges ahead, but believe that I have the skills and aptitude to become a caring and successful doctor.

• Imperial College (Medicine) - Offer (AAAC) Firm
  • Southampton (Medicine) - Offer (AAA) Insurance
  • Oxford (Medicine) - Rejection
  • Edinburgh (Medicine) - Rejection

• Maths (A2) - A*
  • Biology (A2) - A*
  • Chemistry(A2) - A*
  • Physics (A2) - A*