Personal Statement:Modern and Medieval Languages 2

Modern and Medieval Languages (German and Italian) Personal Statement

My passion for languages stems from their inherent multiplicity of roles: languages serve as the primary vehicle of communication, but they also facilitate our understanding of the world. Society is enriched by the diversity of cultures and literary heritages that languages promote. Without an understanding of languages, the world of literature and culture is permanently inaccessible.Im Westen Nichts Neues by Remarque is a perfect example, allowing one to observe the brutality of war from the opposition's perspectives- this is clearly unachievable without a sound understanding of German. My appreciation of other cultures lies at the heart of my aspiration to pursue the study of languages in higher education. My enthusiasm for German rapidly flourished shortly after secondary school commenced. Before embarking on my study of GCSE German, I independently developed my basic understanding of the language through on-line exchanges with German peers. The process of learning the language by myself later proved invaluable in terms of my capacity to quickly grasp the syntax and complex grammatical structures of German. Visiting Germany in March 2011 on a nine day exchange was an enriching experience, enhanced by my burgeoning capacity to think and dream in German. My interest and appreciation of German literature has flourished through my study of several works. For example: Dürrenmatt's Der Besuch der alten Dame demonstrates the moral dilemma that the power of money can wield. Reading Die Physiker is also entertaining. I especially value Dürrenmatt's attempt to keep his plays mildly humorous, whilst still maintaining the seriousness of the plot. This juxtaposition of humour and ethical tension keeps the reader enthralled. This July, I was one of fifteen people selected nationally to spend a week studying German at the UNIQ Summer School at Oxford University. I relished the opportunity to explore aspects of German culture, such as film and poetry, which I had not previously studied. At Oxford, I was immensely inspired by a lecture on Kafka and researched further into some of his most controversial works. In Die Verwandlung and Das Urteil I particularly admire Kafka's ability to use the protagonists, Gregor and Georg, as mechanisms to express his inner thoughts, especially through surreal situations such as Gregor's dramatic transformation. I am inspired by the challenge of becoming fluent in Italian in four years. I am greatly interested in Italy's rich musical and cultural heritage and I have been influenced by Italian composers such as Boccherini from a very early age. Teaching myself the basics of Italian is stimulating: I love the lyrical beauty of Romance languages. My A-level subject combination may be unusual compared to a typical language student but I strongly feel breadth has enhanced my studies. The logical thought processes obtained through mathematics are easily transferable to the skills required in translation and in constructing grammatically accurate sentences. More importantly, the study of sciences has sparked my interest in the field of linguistics, which I am currently investigating through my extended project on the way semantics and syntax affect thought processes. For 11 years, I have been studying the piano, regularly performing in classical concerts. Furthermore, through music I have been able to explore the musical cultures of Germany and Italy. I have received numerous language awards: in 2010, I was presented with the award for achieving the highest language results in the history of my school and in June 2011 I received a commendation for my exceptional commitment to AS German. I am a determined and enthusiastic student motivated by my passion for languages. I look forward to the challenge of pursuing my love of languages through the study of German and Italian at university.

• University of Cambridge (Modern and Medieval Languages) - Offer (A*AA (A* in German) - Firm
  • University of St Andrews (German and Italian) - Offer (AAB (A in German)- Insurance
  • University of Durham (German and Italian) - Offer (AAB (A in German)
  • University of Bristol (German and Italian) - Offer (ABB (A in German)

• German (AS/A2) -Overall Grade A (AS UMS 95%)
  • Chemistry (AS/A2) - Overall Grade A (AS UMS 94%)
  • Maths (AS/A2) - Overall Grade A (AS UMS 93%)
  • Biology (AS/A2) - Overall Grade A (AS UMS 93%)

I applied to Cambridge via CSAS. Even though I didn't achieve the A* in German for Cambridge, my place was still confirmed because I had extenuating circumstances throughout my A2 year, which caused me to under perform in my exams.