Personal Statement:Natural Sciences 7

Natural Sciences Personal Statement

My life is perpetual perplexion. I am both fascinated and awe-struck to discover the absurdly beautiful mechanisms that function to create my relatively simple world. From understanding the complex biological workings on a molecular and cellular level that make me possible and how they arose to interpreting the fundamental laws of nature I am passionate about studying science. Aside from being highly driven to realise and attempt to make sense of the natural world I aspire to one day find ways to use what I've learnt to benefit society and make others happy.

I thoroughly enjoyed my study of chemistry, physics, biology and computing in my AS year and am currently studying all four in my A2 year. Perhaps to a greater extent, however, I have developed my knowledge of these fields outside of school by reading extensively about a wide range of related topics, particularly finding matters such as particle physics, cosmology, evolutionary biology, biochemistry, pharmacology, organic chemistry and theoretical computing fulfilling, along with many others. I feel that I have acquired a broad knowledge of the subjects I study because of this, as well as having an active interest in psychology, philosophy and maths. I am currently reading 'The Origins of Life' by John Maynard Smith and Eors Szathmary, a fascinating book explaining different theories on how life could have emerged from the primordial soup.

I believe I have a good ability to grasp concepts in science and I find myself constantly driven to find out what makes a specific phenomenon work, or why a certain scientific theory is held by the scientific community. I get great satisfaction out of learning a new idea, for example discovering the remarkable and often elegant solutions that evolution conjures from astonishingly simple rules to resolve life's problems. I taught myself to program when I was 13 and am currently proficient in both pascal and visual basic. I think I enjoy programming so much because it's one of the only things in life that I can actually understand! An algorithm can only be reduced to simple ones and zeros whereas finding the answer to a question in physics seemingly invariably leads to more questions.

I want this place because I seek intellectual challenge and because I love to learn. I would work hard at university in hope to eventually attain the skills required to go into a research position - a prospect that excites me as it could serve as a means for me to channel my enthusiasm for science to make a real difference. I am also considering going on to do a medicine degree, upon completion of my first degree.

I firmly believe that without learning one is inevitably confined to an unrecognisably smaller and altogether less magical world. For me, the thrill of studying science comes from a feeling of adventure and profound discovery. To enter unknown territory and challenge my intuition; I revel in the wondrously bizarre and sometimes unsettling truths that unmasked reality provides for those lucky enough to witness.

• Unknown

• Unknown