Personal Statement:Philosophy and English Literature 2

English Literature and Philosophy Personal Statement

Inspired by television, film and literature alike, my interest in the study of English literature has grown profoundly over the last two years. As with philosophy, I possess the creativity to formulate original ideas and interpretations while thinking about the wider impact and messages presented.

Having studied Quranic Arabic alongside Islamic studies outside of school and presently teaching myself Japanese, I would like to dedicate more time to foreign literature. The value of understanding a text in its original language provides a greater impact and depth of comprehension compared to translations, which struggle to convey the complete and unadulterated meaning. My coursework on the ballad 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight' allowed exploration of other languages and dialects by comparing Simon Armitage's more contemporary translation to the poet's original work. Similarly, meta-ethics partially investigates epistemology and semantics. When broken down, it places a new outlook on the foundations of our world. Wittgenstein stated, "the meaning of a word is its usage in the language", which is arguably true for all forms of communication, particularly when considering fictional language.

Medieval fantasies are a personal favourite as they combine elements of the unknown while conveying events that reflect our world's history. George R. R. Martin's series 'A Song of Ice and Fire' raises questions of politics and ethics through the diverse, morally conflicted characters caught in the never-ending wake of death. This seemingly endless debate urged me to analyse William Golding's 'Lord of the Flies' and Stieg Larsson's 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo', both depicting realistic issues surrounding humanity. The problem of evil is a philosophical topic of interest concerning deities, death and the purpose of existence. These puzzles possess magnetising elements of elusiveness; a mystery which ensnares the pursuer, the possibility of a solution remaining evasive.

As a Muslim, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is an incentive to delve deeper into ethics and theology. Rather than maintaining a stance due to religious obligations, I feel inclined to hold an objective and critical outlook on my ideas and those of others. The work of Peter Vardy and Norman Finkelstein has enabled me to refine my theories and analytical skills. As a theist and student of philosophy, I am eager to learn more about the nature of God to verify or falsify my belief. To recognise the value and meaning of life, an insight into the minds of the world's cruellest dictators is invaluable. While the writing style may not be the most stimulating, the perspective attained from reading Adolf Hitler's 'Mein Kampf' provides a greater assessment of the ethics surrounding his dictatorship.

I have matured as an individual with increased independence and self-confidence. Any problems encountered during my A-levels, such as previous results, I have overcome efficiently and treated as learning curves to ensure I meet my potential. Consequently studying psychology has aided my critical skills through, for example, studying psychoanalysis. I tutor younger students in English regularly, ages ranging from nine to seventeen. As a karate student, I received an award as the hardest training student, also reflecting my commitment. In addition to my work experience with Heritage Solicitors and participating as part of an award-winning Young Enterprise group, looking after my schizophrenic aunt has improved my interpersonal skills dramatically by learning to adapt to the needs of my subject.

I intend to pursue a career in journalism and later, teaching. The skills required for a fulfilling career would develop significantly through my study of English and Philosophy. As an expressive and opinionated individual, I seek opportunities to impact society and see my work come to life. My desire to enthuse others while growing as both student and teacher is my motivation to write and teach.

• Durham University (English Literature and Philosophy) - Offer (A*AA) Rejected
  • University of York (English Literature and Philosophy) - Offer (AAB) Firm
  • University Leeds (English and Philosophy) - Offer (AAA) Rejected
  • University of Nottingham (English and Philosophy) - Offer (AAB - Unconditional) Insurance
  • University of Lancaster (English and Philosophy) - Offer (AAB - Unconditional) Rejected

• Religious Studies (Philosophy and Ethics) (A2) - A*
  • English Literature (A2) - A
  • Psychology (A2) - B
  • General Studies (A2) - B
  • Art & Design (AS) - B
  • Citizenship Studies (AS) - B
  • MEI Mathematics (AS) - D

It's worth noting that at the time of application, the A*AB (R.S., Eng. Lit., Gen. Studies) had already been achieved hence the two unconditional offers from Nottingham and Lancaster. The Psychology A2 was completed in the third year of studying A-levels and the remaining three offers were dependent on the outcome of that.