Personal Statement:Physics 31

Physics Personal Statement

Science shows us that everything is interlinked in a complex pattern and for me, this is the beauty of it. Physics is an limitless quest to which there's no end but knowledge; the never-ending intrigue is what drives me to discover the universe's secrets. This intricate balance of everything has always been captivating, shaping my desire to delve further into the depths of Physics.

I believe the core of science is finding out how things work, getting to the bottom of things, being able to grasp daily events. It was the mix of the beauty of maths and the mysteries of science that made Physics the perfect subject for me. It is the subject with no boundaries. Everything we see, everything we don't, from the smallest subatomic particle to the stretch of the known and unknown universe, is Physics and the idea of studying all of it is an exciting prospect. The way contradicting theories can exist at the same time is thrilling, the way things so firmly believed in for years can be discarded in a moment exhilarating. Physics is always changing, updating, and I want to be at the forefront of this. One idea that fascinated me while watching a documentary was the theory that the shape of the universe may be a 4D sphere, with us and the rest of space living on its 3D surface. I find it fascinating that there are aspects of Physics like this that we don't know much about- make-up of subatomic particles, dark matter, origins of the universe- and that as the subject grows and expands, ideas shift, change, as things disprove each other. I believe I have the determination and drive to excel in Physics. I believe that the future of energy, medicine, technology, of everything lies with Physics.

Possessing both logic and creativity, I can approach problems from different angles, which led me to attain 100 in my Core 1 Mathematics exam. I love the challenge of the overlapping problems the sciences bring - for example linking Mechanics 1 and Physics module 2, and applying H-bonds from Chemistry to the study of DNA - and the thrill of solving them successfully. My love of Maths also helps me to understand the equations used in science. The overlap between subjects inspires me most. That everything links hit home forcefully when I came across a book that explained the practical science behind the world featured in 'His Dark Materials'. It gripped my imagination that a scientist had gone into such analytical depths regarding the science of a fiction book. I also enjoyed 'How the Universe Got Its Spots', challenging my view of the universe as it talked about the fall of objects down the curvature of spacetime. In addition, I participated in the Extended Project, where I explored the possibility of reintroducing large carnivores into the Scottish Highlands - feeding my interest in conservation - in which I included ideas from the ecological side of Biology, such as the predator-prey cycle. Even my passion for singing involves science, such as the clarity of sound due to the meeting of the vocal cords as the air flow causes them to vibrate.

My commitment is also shown through my extra activities. At my dance school, I worked hard for years to perfect my technique, which has led me to excel in recent exams. I also work with a team to organise and deliver workshops to young pupils in the holidays, which has taught me to lead others and adapt ideas that aren't working. My determination and imagination are also displayed in my involvement in amateur dramatics; having played lead roles in recent shows, I have learned to think on my feet when things go awry. I believe these experiences have helped me to become more confident in myself and my studies, making me a more active member in classes and debates.

For me, Physics holds the key to the future.When our world is facing ever-increasing challenges, I believe that there's no more important a subject than Physics; thus my eagerness to be at the forefront of this most fascinating of all subjects.

• Birmingham (Physics) - Offer (AAA) Firm
  • Bristol (Physics) - Offer (AAB) Insurance
  • Manchester (Physics) - Offer (A*AA)
  • Warwick (Physics) - Offer (AAA)
  • Cambridge (Natural Sciences) - Rejection

• Maths (A2) - Grade A
  • Physics (A2) - Grade B
  • Further Maths (A2) - Grade C
  • Chemistry (A2) - Grade C
  • Biology (AS) - Grade B

My grade in Chemistry meant I couldn't get into either my firm or insurance (as I had an inability to learn the sixty different colours of compounds and you cannot work the damn things out), and my mental block on Statistics (which I am sure is NOT proper Maths). However, the University of Hull immediately accepted me through clearing, so I must've done something right.

This personal statement was pretty nice to write, because I'm quite good at embellishing and bamboozling with useless vocabulary, but also because things are so easy to write when you're enthusiastic.