Personal Statement:Politics and Philosophy 2

Politics and Philosophy Personal Statement

My academic coursework, involvement in student government, and interest in world cultures has inspired my decision to apply to a course in politics, participate in student government at the university level, seek an internship in the British Parliament, and explore international governments within a study abroad program. This intellectual curiosity combined with a commitment to music and philanthropic service distinguishes my application to university. While at Ridgefield High School, I will have completed 8 APs, 10 Honors courses, and a language every year. My favorite courses have been in US History and World History. This year I chose to take AP Government and Politics, as opposed to a half year course, because of my interest in the subject area and a desire to get a more thorough foundation. I have also had direct experience with learning about politics from my visit to the Connecticut state capitol and shadowing the mayor of Ridgefield. In addition, I have been an active participant in the political process at school. Every year, my peers have elected me to represent them in student government. I work closely on decisions with my classmates and the administration for traditional events and special school improvement projects. Also, since the entire school looks to us for leadership, I understand the influence of my enthusiastic attitude, open mind, and strong values.

Studying in the UK will allow me to continue my interest in politics, but on a more global stage. Growing up in a town where there is not as much diversity as there is in other places, sharing my Indian culture by teaching peers about our traditions, customs, perspectives and religion has been a big part of my upbringing. My parents encouraged me from an early age to be open with others in order to learn from each other. They also sparked my fascination in exploring other cultures and to appreciate the diversity there is in the world. As a family, we have traveled to many places, so I have had the opportunity to witness first hand governments all across the world.

While at university, I plan to be an active volunteer. Although I have volunteered for numerous philanthropies, the two that have been the most meaningful in my life are National Charity League (NCL) and the Blind People's Association of India (BPAI). During the past five years in NCL, I not only earned leadership skills, but also had the opportunity to help several different types of charities alongside my mother. The BPAI has provided me with another extremely fulfilling experience in the land of my ancestors. Working with Indian children with multiple disabilites was at first challenging, but as I got to know them, their personalities shined brighter than their disabilities. There will always be the need for volunteers across the world, because not every country is as willing to help the less fortunate as citizens in the United States, Britain, or even India.

Finally, the arts have been an important influence in my life, as I have spent 13 years as a violinist. Although music is not something I want to commit my entire life to, it is a creative outlet as well as motivation for me. The drive I get from music is a thrill, a head rush, and it pushes me to try as hard as I can in all areas, not just music. As I enter the next phase of my life and head off to university, the lessons I have learned from music about appreciating beauty, always challenging yourself, striving to be the best, and never accepting defeat have shaped me as a person.

Studying in the UK would offer me a top-level education. I feel confident that my academic acheivements combined with field experience and extra-curricular activities will allow me to be a valuable asset to the university community.

• University of St. Andrews (French and International Relations) - Offer (Unconditional) Insurance
  • University of Cambridge (Politics, Psychology and Sociology) - Rejection
  • King's College London (International Politics) - Rejection
  • London School of Economics and Political Science (Politics and Philosophy) - Offer (5 on Government and Politics exam) Firm

• Biology (AP) - 5
  • United States History (AP) - 5
  • World History (AP) - 5
  • Calculus AB (AP) - 5