Braised Red Cabbage
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, preferably canola oil
- 2 onions, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 red cabbage (about 3 pounds), halved, cored and sliced
- 2/3 cup defatted reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat
- Add onions and cook, stirring, until the onions start to turn golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage wilts, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, caraway seeds and sugar; bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook over low heat until very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in vinegar.
- Increase heat to high, and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper.
This recipe can be made ahead of time and stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat gently over low heat or in the microwave.
- 74 calories
- 2 g total fat (0 g sat)
- 0 mg cholesterol
- 15 g carbohydrate
- 3 g protein
- 4 g fibre
- 25 mg sodium