kuntimagee's Excellent Easy Pasta - Good for Romance!
Calamata with Roasted Tomato and Basil Sauce
- 500g small and cherry tomatoes (a mix is fine)
- Olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- Pasta for two - I used calamata, which is in the shape of calamari, but pretty much anything would be fine. Use orecchiette if you can get it, or failing that something else of a similar size and shape. Please though, no noodles!
- Salt and pepper
- 20 leaves basil
- 1. Put your tomatoes onto a roasting dish and drizzle lightly with olive oil. No need to chop the tomatoes. Slice the garlic cloves finely and scatter over the tomatoes. Grill under a hot grill for between five and fifteen minutes, depending on the heat of your grill. You want them truly roasted; their skins golden-brown and in some places quite charred. Take them out of the oven and set aside.
- 2. Put your pasta on to boil in a big pot of salty water. When it's done, drain and put pasta back onto a very low heat. Put in the roasted tomatoes and and stir with a fork - do not worry about crushing them; you want them to form a lumpy sauce with the pasta. Add the basil leaves and stir; the heat of the pasta and tomatoes should make them wilt.
- 3. Add as much cream as you like - I only used about 4 Tbsp, but it would have been fine with as little as 2 or as much as 10. Incorporate and season with salt and pepper. Serve in pasta bowls with Parmesan grated over the top.