Rhubarb and Custard Cake
One of the best cakes I know.
- 1 quality roasted Rhubarb
- 250g butter, softened
- 150g ready made custard (not the chilled kind)
- 250g Self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g golden caster sugar
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C for fan ovens)
- Rinse the rhubarb and shake off excess water. Trim the ends then cut the rhubarb into little finger sized pieces. Put in a shallow baking tray.
- Tip over some sugar, toss together then shuffle the rhubarb so its in a single layer. Cover with foil and roast for 15 minutes. Remove the foil, the sugar should be dissolved.
- Give everything a shake then roast for 5 more minutes or until tender and the juices are syrupy. Test with a sharp knife - the rhubarb should feel tender, not mushy and still keep its shape.
- After making the roasted rhubarb carefully drain the juices and let it cool.
- Butter and line a 23cm loose-bottomed or springform tin. Heat oven to 180°C (160°C for fan ovens)
- Reserve 3tbsp of the custard in a bowl. Beat the rest of the custard together with the flour, butter, baking powder, eggs, vanilla and sugar untill creamy and smooth.
- Spoon one third of the mix into the tin, add some of the rhubarb, then dot with one-third more cake mix and spread it out as well as you can. top with more rhubarb then spoon over the remaining cake mix, leaving it in rough mounds and dips rather than being too neat.
- Scatter the rest of the rhubarb over the batter then dot the remaining custard over.
- Bake for 40 minutes until risen and golden then cover with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes more.
- It is ready when a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin then sprinkle with icing sugar when cool
- Use ambrosia custard. Its definitely the best for this cake. --DayneD89