Scholarships in the Faculty of Science at the University of East Anglia
Why study with us?
- The University of East Anglia is ranked 2nd of mainstream English Universities in the 2009 National Student Survey.
- We are a 2009 "What Uni" Student Choice Award winner
- We are one of the top research Universities for science in the UK.
- We are one of the top three Universities in the world for Geosciences (Thomson Reuters Essential Science Indicators 1999-2009).
- We are renowned for excellence in teaching at the forefront of scientific discovery.
- We reside in the fourth highest cited UK city for science, due to the pioneering research undertaken in Faculty of Science and our Norwich Research Park partners.
The University of East Anglia is delighted to have received 33 £1000 scholarships to allocate to talented students commencing a science or mathematics degree in September 2010. The scholarships have been generously donated by Naim Dangoor, as part of the Eliahou Dangoor Scholarships Scheme.
Naim Dangoor is an Iraqi Jewish businessman who left Iraq in the 1960s to escape anti-Semitic persecution when the Baath Party came to power. He fled to England, where he had studied engineering decades earlier, and built a property empire in exile. He set up the scholarship scheme in 2005, at the age of 90, to thank the country that gave him refuge, and stipulated that the money should help students realise their potential – particularly in the science subjects. He also stipulated that all scholarships should go to students at the 1994 Group and Russell Group of leading research-intensive universities, including the University of East Anglia.
All eligible applicants applying for a degree in the Schools of Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Computing Sciences, Environmental Sciences and Mathematics will automatically be considered for an award, with priority given to those applying to study either Chemistry or Environmental Sciences. To be eligible students must be resident in the UK and classed as ‘home’ for the purposes of fees status, and must have submitted an application for full-time study through UCAS by the 15th January 2010.
Timetable for awards
The Faculty of Science will consider all eligible applicants following the deadline of 15th January 2010, and aim to notify successful applicants by 1st March 2010. Selection criteria will include predicted grades, evidence of commitment to and motivation for the subject along with talent in extra-curricular activities. For further information and a full list of terms and conditions please visit our website.
At the University of East Anglia we are completely committed to ensuring that top chemistry students are able to benefit from the very best chemistry degree courses, despite the recent national rise in tuition costs. To this end we are expanding our programme of financial support for the chemistry students registering in 2010:
Home/EU Chemistry Scholarships
- Scholarships of £2000 will be awarded to students who choose UEA as their 'firm' choice of University prior to clearing, and who register on any of our chemistry degree programmes (BSc or MChem) with at least a grade A in A2-level chemistry and AB in two others (excluding General Studies).
- Scholarships of £1000 will be awarded to students who choose UEA as their 'firm' choice of University prior to clearing, and who register on any of our chemistry degree programmes (BSc or MChem) with at least a grade A in A2-level chemistry and BB in two others (excluding General Studies).
Timetable for awards
Applicants are automatically considered for a scholarship upon receipt of their examination results and there is no separate application process for these awards. The number of scholarships is unlimited. The total award will be made following registration in the first year. These Chemistry scholarships will be awarded in addition to the Dangoor Scholarships (see above) and the UEA scholarships (see below). For further information and a full list of terms and conditions please visit our website.
University of East Anglia Scholarships
The University of East Anglia will be offering an automatic £500 per year scholarship to all UK applicants registering in September 2010 with AAA at A2-level. This award will be in addition to the Dangoor Scholarships and Chemistry Scholarships outlined above. For full details of the funding available at the University of East Anglia please visit our website.