Whether going out for the day or going on holiday with your DSLR, this is a checklist of essential and useful photography items to take with you. None of the items are in any particular order, although the importance of the categories is in order.
Note: this is not a complete guide to going on out and about or holiday; for useful TSR Wiki links for that, see the bottom of this article.
- a lens
- a battery
- a memory card
- DSLR camera bag
- water bottle with water (yes, not a photography item, but don't go out without water, dehydration is not fun)
Things you really should take
- spare battery
- spare memory card
- multiple lenses or, better, all the lenses you'll want to use
- lens cleaning cloth or pen
Things to consider money and space permitting
- lens hood(s)
- remote shutter release
- hot shoe spirit level (like so)
- flash gun
Especially important on extended trips
- battery charger
- small laptop/other storage device
- copy of your DSLR specs (in case you need to buy replacement equipment whilst away)
Actually, on extended trips, try and take everything you own - better to have it and not use it than want it and not have it.