• UK students who want to do an exchange year/semester abroad from their UK university

There are two different ways of studying abroad- these are for your entire degree or for a period during your degree. The option which has been most popular in the past for UK students is to spend a semester or academic year studying at a host university in Europe or elsewhere in the world. The other option is to apply to study for your entire degree at a university abroad and thus, be classed as an international student there.

Spending a year/semester of a UK course outside of the UK

Studying abroad at an exchange university for a semester or an academic year has always been popular with students at UK universities, with European locations along with North America and Australasia being the most sought after locations.

If you decide to spend time studying abroad as a compulsory or optional part of your undergraduate degree you may be eligible for additional financial support on top of what you normally receive. Eligibility and funding is determined by where you chose to study abroad. Students studying within Europe with an Erasmus exchange place are eligible for much more financial support than students choosing to go beyond the EU for their exchange year.

For information about EU funding for Erasmus places see here.

For information about funding for exchanges outside of the EU see here.

Regardless of where you chose to study you will be eligible for additional funding from Student Finance England to help with the costs associated with studying abroad.

Maximum Maintenance Loan rates for full-time students

Non final year course Final year course Extra weeks
full reduced full reduced (long courses loan)
Parental Home £4375 £1744 £6990 £2498 £54
Away from parental home, in London £7675 £3263 £6990 £2498 £106
Away from parental home, elsewhere in UK £5500 £2324 £5115 £1511 £83
Away from parental home, outside of the UK £6535 £2780 £5680 £2031 £115

Are there any other sources of funding available?

Travel Grant

The Travel Grant covers the cost of all necessary qualifying travel, less a disregard of £303.

The student must fund the first £303 of travel themselves. The grant also covers other incidental costs such as visas, vaccinations and medical insurance.

Students apply for Travel Grants on the main application for full-time student finance. Student Finance England will then send eligible students a Travel Grant application form.

University Support

Your home university may provide financial support to outgoing students. You will be informed of these arrangements during the internal application process.

Try Learn together, TSR's study area

revision notes




a study planner

of discussions

Should you wait six months before applying for a graduate job?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE