Here you will find some useful websites and resources for people studying English and literature related subjects. Please fell free to add to the list as well as structuring the page in a great way. If you spot a broken link, please remove it (or try to find a link to the broken page if it still exists somewhere else)
- - English Resources from UniversalTeacherRevision materials, poetry readings, exam preparation etc.
- English Teaching Resources - (usually has some useful A-level guide things)
- Literature Online Subscription service through the university Athens server (most universities should have an account if you check) This website has digital versions of all out of copyright texts, poems etc, aswell as digitized versions of literary magazines for reading criticism.
- Early English Books Online Athens Subscription service that contains digital scans of books printed up to 1750 (for scans of shakespeare original folio / quarto etc.)
- Guardian Books The guardian books website, reviewing contemporary and older literary releases, author biographies and offering discussion boards.
- Poetry Collection A large collection of digitized poetry, categorized by genre.
- Poetry ArchiveReal poets reading their own works. Supported by the arts council of Britain.
A website with formal rhymed poetry on a variety of topics: http://www.formalpoetryetc.com
- Etymological dictionary giving all the various morphemes and their origins, and dates of first usage
- Oxford English Dictionary (access through Athens)
Literary Theory, Criticism and Reference
- Bartletby Cambridge Encyclopedia of English and American Literature An encyclopedia charting the history of English and including essays and criticism up to the end of the Victorian Era
http://www.classicsenglishliterature.com Study notes on Othello, King Lear, Hamlet, Henry IV pt i
- Criticism of Individual Plays (this looks quite good, but I've only just found it, never used it)
- Some of Shakespeare's works in audio format (can be saved as mp3 and put on an iPod/mp3 player)
- Leavis On Othello Criticism
Notes on characters, themes, double time scheme, source etc: http://www.classicsenglishliterature.com
Measure for Measure
- Measure for Measure Themes and for the stage (Royal Shakespeare Company)
- From Mistress to Master: Political Transition and Formal Conflict in Measure for Measure - Critical Essay
- Medieval Literature Companion (again, only just found it, but looks great)
- A guide to chaucer Biography, bibliography, audio files, lectures and much more.
http://www.classicsenglishliterature.com Analyses of selected Tales
The Remains of the Day
- Victorian WebA large, scholarly contributed archive with regards to all aspects of Victorian Literature. Unmissable if you study the period and require everything from quick reference to detailed analysis.
- Wuthering Heights Resources (excellent, excellent, excellent site)
Links originally from the thread started by Sehnsucht on TSR Forums.