The Student Room Group

Calculating mass

3.69g of nitrobenzene and 8g of tin reacted. Purification gave 72.1% yield of phenylamine.

Calculate the mass of phenylamine produced from the 3.69g of nitrobenzene

Mr: nitrobenze = 123, phenylamine = 93.1

How i do this brah

Safe yeh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hallo. Anybodeh there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by QuantumSuicide
3.69g of nitrobenzene and 8g of tin reacted. Purification gave 72.1% yield of phenylamine.

Calculate the mass of phenylamine produced from the 3.69g of nitrobenzene

Mr: nitrobenze = 123, phenylamine = 93.1

How i do this brah

Safe yeh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct me anyone if i am totally wrong, but i don't think tin is needed here but google's being stubborn.

you need the balanced equation of the reaction for the molar ratios

they want to know how much was actually produced by experiment-i.e turned out to be 72.1% of the amount that theoretically should have been produced.
To find the theoretical, convert the mass nitrobenzene to moles (moles=mass/molar mass),
look at the ratio between this and phenylamine via coefficients in le balanced equation,
that tells you how many moles of phenylamine theoretically should come from the amount of nitrobenzene used. e.g if 1:1 ratio it's the same amount in moles, if 2:1 nitro:tongue:henyl it's half the amount of moles of phenylamine.
then convert to mass (mass=moles x molarmass)-this is theoretical amount.
Q. says yield was 72.1% of this answer.

That's how i'd approach it. If i give it a go once I'm able to use internet that isn't being stubbornly slow i'll edit anything incorrect. Hope it helps a bit tho.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Nat_LPS
Correct me anyone if i am totally wrong, but i don't think tin is needed here but google's being stubborn.

you need the balanced equation of the reaction for the molar ratios

they want to know how much was actually produced by experiment-i.e turned out to be 72.1% of the amount that theoretically should have been produced.
To find the theoretical, convert the mass nitrobenzene to moles (moles=mass/molar mass),
look at the ratio between this and phenylamine via coefficients in le balanced equation,
that tells you how many moles of phenylamine theoretically should come from the amount of nitrobenzene used. e.g if 1:1 ratio it's the same amount in moles, if 2:1 nitro:tongue:henyl it's half the amount of moles of phenylamine.
then convert to mass (mass=moles x molarmass)-this is theoretical amount.
Q. says yield was 72.1% of this answer.

That's how i'd approach it. If i give it a go once I'm able to use internet that isn't being stubbornly slow i'll edit anything incorrect. Hope it helps a bit tho.

Thanks a lot, man. Really appreciate it. The tin just acts as a reducing agent along with HCl.

Quick Reply

Latest