The Student Room Group

Heat of reaction for Phenol + NaOH -> Sodium salicylate?

Hi,

Im doing my design project and im having problems looking for the heat of reaction for the mentioned reaction. i wanted to try to use bond energy method but i couldnt find enough information to solve it. i really need help and i hope anyone who knows how to do it could tell me how.

thank you very much!
Original post by afz27
Hi,

Im doing my design project and im having problems looking for the heat of reaction for the mentioned reaction. i wanted to try to use bond energy method but i couldnt find enough information to solve it. i really need help and i hope anyone who knows how to do it could tell me how.

thank you very much!

Phenol and sodium hydroxide do not make sodium salicylate ...
Reply 2
Phenol + NaOH --> Sodium Phenoxide + Water
Reply 3
Im sorry guys, my bad. the actual reaction that im working is:

Sodium phenoxide + CO2 -> Sodium salicylate

im really sorry for the silly mistake that i made. im still looking how to find the heat of reaction for both actually.

my design project task is to produce aspirin from phenol and sodium hydroxide. so i have 4 main reactions that i have to work which is:

1) Phenol + Sodium Hydroxide -> sodium phenoxide + water
2) Sodium phenoxide + CO2 -> Sodium salicylate
3) Sodium salicylate + H2SO4 -> Salicylic acid + Sodium sulphate
4) Salicylic acid + Acetic anhydride -> aspirin + Acetic acid

If anyone could help me find the heat of reaction for the 2nd reaction i would appreciate it. thank you very much and again sorry for my mistake
Reply 4
Original post by afz27
Im sorry guys, my bad. the actual reaction that im working is:

Sodium phenoxide + CO2 -> Sodium salicylate

im really sorry for the silly mistake that i made. im still looking how to find the heat of reaction for both actually.

my design project task is to produce aspirin from phenol and sodium hydroxide. so i have 4 main reactions that i have to work which is:

1) Phenol + Sodium Hydroxide -> sodium phenoxide + water
2) Sodium phenoxide + CO2 -> Sodium salicylate
3) Sodium salicylate + H2SO4 -> Salicylic acid + Sodium sulphate
4) Salicylic acid + Acetic anhydride -> aspirin + Acetic acid

If anyone could help me find the heat of reaction for the 2nd reaction i would appreciate it. thank you very much and again sorry for my mistake

I am not really sure but what I would do is to use calorimetry, and then with the results use q=mc(delta)T
There should be a literature value out there... Have you checked reaxys? If not, work out the theoretical value using Hess's law.
Reply 6
I tried to look for the values but i cant find any. i havent tried reaxys though. gonna check it asap. thank you very much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest