The Student Room Group

Enthalpy change question help !!

Hi, I would like to know the effect of increasing the volume of water in both enthalpy change of neutralisation and enthalpy change of solution.

For enthalpy change of neutralisation, even if you increase the volume of solution, the answer is that ' temperature change is the same as twice the energy is released but it is spread over twice the volume of solution.

Whereas with enthalpy change of solution, increasing the volume of water will cause the temperature change to decrease as same energy/heat spread over larger volume of water

I don't really understand the difference between the two.

Thanks
Original post by coconut64
Hi, I would like to know the effect of increasing the volume of water in both enthalpy change of neutralisation and enthalpy change of solution.

For enthalpy change of neutralisation, even if you increase the volume of solution, the answer is that ' temperature change is the same as twice the energy is released but it is spread over twice the volume of solution.

Whereas with enthalpy change of solution, increasing the volume of water will cause the temperature change to decrease as same energy/heat spread over larger volume of water

I don't really understand the difference between the two.

Thanks

If you increase volume of solution, you are also increasing the amount of reactant you have. If you increase the volume of water alone, however, you are simply diluting the solution. Hope I helped.
Reply 2
Original post by ugaaa5
If you increase volume of solution, you are also increasing the amount of reactant you have. If you increase the volume of water alone, however, you are simply diluting the solution. Hope I helped.

I just don't get the bit about the temperature change instead of the concentration of reactants. Thanks
I just don't get the bit about the temperature change instead of the concentration of reactants. Thanks

That's what I was trying to illustrate. One second, let me think of a way to illustrate this otherwise.

Temperature change comes from the reactants, not the solution itself. If you double the volume of solution, you are not changing how concentrated the solution is. You simply have double the amount of reactant, in double the amount of water, causing double the energy released. That energy is distributed as evenly as it was before.
If you add water, however, you are reducing the concentration of the solution overall. That means you have the same amount of reactant in more water. Although the energy released is the same, the temperature change decreases as the energy released from the reaction is distributed over more water.
Reply 5
Original post by ugaaa5
Temperature change comes from the reactants, not the solution itself. If you double the volume of solution, you are not changing how concentrated the solution is. You simply have double the amount of reactant, in double the amount of water, causing double the energy released. That energy is distributed as evenly as it was before.
If you add water, however, you are reducing the concentration of the solution overall. That means you have the same amount of reactant in more water. Although the energy released is the same, the temperature change decreases as the energy released from the reaction is distributed over more water.

Can you explain this using the q=mc delta T equation, I sort of get what you mean but how does this equation back up the explanation? Thanks
Can you explain this using the q=mc delta T equation, I sort of get what you mean but how does this equation back up the explanation? Thanks

That's going to take me 10 years. Slightly busy atm :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by ugaaa5
That's going to take me 10 years. Slightly busy atm :frown:

ok. So does the value of enthalpy change change then if you increase the volume?
ok. So does the value of enthalpy change change then if you increase the volume?

No.
Reply 9
Original post by ugaaa5
No.

So the temperature only changes if the volume of water increases but if you are changing the volume of solution, it is not affected?
So the temperature only changes if the volume of water increases but if you are changing the volume of solution, it is not affected?

Yes.
Reply 11
So in an enthalpy reaction, if you have twice the amount of volume but still same concentration, why does it half the temperature change?

Quick Reply

Latest