The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Chemistry

Does anyone know if we need to know about the development of the model of the atom over time? Like the plum pudding model and dates for discovery of the neutron and stuff like that.
We needed to know it at GCSE, but it isn't specifically mentioned in the AQA specification; all that's said is that we must "appreciate that knowledge and understanding of the atomic structure has changed over time".
Any help with this will help to put my mind at ease as I revise lol.
Many Thanks
Original post by MrEpicDude
Does anyone know if we need to know about the development of the model of the atom over time? Like the plum pudding model and dates for discovery of the neutron and stuff like that.
We needed to know it at GCSE, but it isn't specifically mentioned in the AQA specification; all that's said is that we must "appreciate that knowledge and understanding of the atomic structure has changed over time".
Any help with this will help to put my mind at ease as I revise lol.
Many Thanks

You don’t have to know of all the models of the atom and all the relevant dates - though you may get a lesson on it anyway early on in year 12.

I think really all you need to know is that there is evidence that has changed our understanding of the atom, including successive ionisation energies indicating how many outer electrons an element has.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest