The Student Room Group

Urgent: Calculating units for Van der Waals equation

"A laboratory gas clyinder filled with nitrogen has a volume of 0.15 and contains 35 kg of gas when delivered. Calculate the pressure in units of atmospheres inside the clyinder at 20°C using the van der Waals equation.

The van der Waals constants for nitrogen are a = 1.408 atm dm6 mol² and b = 0.0391 dm³ mol1, R = 0.08206 dm³ atm K-1 mol-1."

I can substitute the numbers into the equation can get an answer. However I am having problems showing that the units cancel to just atm, could someone show me how :smile:.

Thanks

I meant to attach it earlier lol :smile:
Reply 1
If you tell me what the Van der Waals equation is, then i might be able to help :smile:
Reply 2
moojoo
If you tell me what the Van der Waals equation is, then i might be able to help :smile:

Lol thanks :smile:
Reply 3
moojoo

Thanks for the offer but I have sorted the problem, the workshop sheet, had incorrect indices on, just found a table in the text book and have been able to cancel the units to atm. Never trust lecturers :smile:
Reply 4
Haha never trust them at all. Glad you sorted it!
Reply 5
moojoo
Haha never trust them at all. Glad you sorted it!

Unfortunately am still stuck as according to the textbook the correct units for R are dm³ atm k-1 mol-1

Correct units for a are: atm dm6 mol-2
and b: dm³ mol-1

I can only get it down to atm x dm-3 which is wrong apparently!
Reply 6
Ah ok, substituting those units into the equation I Get the following:

p = mol dm3 atm k-1 mol-1 k - atm dm6 mol-2 mol2
dm3 - mol dm3 mol-1 dm6

on the left part, everything cancels on the bottom you may have gone wrong a bit, you are left with dm3 - dm3 which is dm3 still, an that cancels

on the right everthing cancels, leaving atm

so overall:

atm - atm, which is just atm

does that help? (sorry for the non mathematical writing!):smile:
atm - atm = 0? not atm?
Reply 8
Godsize
atm - atm = 0? not atm?

Pressure has to have units as its a physical property.
Reply 9
no silly!

something atm - something atm = atm

they're units not numbers ! a certain amount of atm - another, still equals a certain amount of atm

Latest