The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Hi,

Yes SbF2(2-) is trigonal bipyramidal :smile:
& ICl4(+) is square planar :smile:

Hope that bit helps!
I'm assuming you dont need any explanations, right?
Reply 2
wot wud u write for the explanations? just that the bonding pairs are repelling each other as far apart as possible?
for ICl4(+) did u get I double bonding to Cl..4 times? lol
ICl4(+) has to be distorted square pyramidal

the iodine has seven electrons
each chlorine provides one = 4 more
total = 11
but theere is one plus charge i.e. an electron has been lost therefore there are 10 in total = 5 pairs
four pairs are used in bonding with one lone pair so the shape adopted is a disorted trigonal bipyramid electronically - molecular shape - mini umbrella i.e distorted square pyramid
Reply 4
thanks
Reply 5
charco
ICl4(+) has to be distorted square pyramidal

the iodine has seven electrons
each chlorine provides one = 4 more
total = 11
but theere is one plus charge i.e. an electron has been lost therefore there are 10 in total = 5 pairs
four pairs are used in bonding with one lone pair so the shape adopted is a disorted trigonal bipyramid electronically - molecular shape - mini umbrella i.e distorted square pyramid
but Charco, it says in my book that if a molecule has four bonded pairs & 1 lone pair of e-s, then its called as a square planar...
If a molecule has four bonded pairs and two lone pairs it is square planar, eg XeF4.

In the case of five pairs, all of the regions of electron density repel one another to give the basic electronic shape as a trigonal bipyramid eg PCl5.

If one of the pairs is a lone pair then this repels the others a little more than they repel themselves.

As the lone pair occupies one of the equatorial slots to minimise interactions with other pairs (in trigonal bipyramidal there are three equatorial and two axial positions) this then produces a distorted umbrella or square pyramid.

Sorry about your book, but it isn't correct - who is the author?

Latest