The Student Room Group

11th January 2012 - 6BIO1 - edexcel biology unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by IchHabDichLieb
we didnt even do the hydrogen perioxide experiment we just added trypsin to casein in test tubes, so i didn't have a clue what the apparatus was about. its out of order cuz its not even on the spec

In the book it says some questions are designed to distinguish between A and A* grade students. The hydrogen peroxide question would have been one of them...... I think it was an unfair advantage to chemistry students as this is what we study :s-smilie:
Reply 981
Original post by Granny11
shizzle i said blood clotting instead of inflammatory response :s-smilie:

yeah.
great minds think alike
Reply 983
Original post by blue012
yeah.

sounds like i'm just losing marks left, right and centre here :frown:
Reply 984
In the book it says some questions are designed to distinguish between A and A* grade students. The hydrogen peroxide question would have been one of them...... I think it was an unfair advantage to chemistry students as this is what we study :s-smilie:

True. We did not learn about that at all. I wrote measure the volume of oxygen and divide this by the time to work out rate (cgp book). Then us another muscle and do the same. Compare results.
Reply 985
sounds like i'm just losing marks left, right and centre here :frown:

Dont worry. im sure you done well. We cant be sure yet
Reply 986
Original post by james.odedra
great minds think alike

Yes u said it.
Reply 987
working out rate is defo a chemistry answer
Reply 988
Apart from enzymes i think it was mostly chemistry. ANYONE EALISED THAT THE APPARATUS IS IN THE CGP BOOK
Reply 989
It is not in the textbook
Reply 990
I have all the Edexcel bio books except CGP :biggrin:
Reply 991
What did people write for gene therapy question about CF
Reply 992
Original post by blue012
It is not in the textbook

it is in my chemistry textbook :wink:
i did read it once and watched a youtube video but decided to learn the one we did in class as it was simpler
Reply 994
I have all the Edexcel bio books except CGP :biggrin:

Unlucky. I was going to remeber that typsin crap practical. Then by luck i didnt have time to take notes so i thought it wouldnt come up because we had to plan it ourselves. Then to make sure i literally read the hydrogen peroxide the day before and wrote what i learn at 12 in the night.
Reply 995
Original post by blue012
What did people write for gene therapy question about CF

to find healthy genes which can produce a functional CFTR protein. The gene is extracted using restriction enzymes. The enzymes are also used to cut out a place in plasmid. The gene is added to the plasmid using ligase enzymes. The plasmid is then added to a vector such as a virus. Allow the virus to culture then inject into patient. The virus then infects cells to produce new cells temporarily to produce cells with have functioning CFTR proteins tehrefore leading to a less stickier mucus
Reply 996
Prenatal testing is during pregnance isnt it surely it is because amniotic fluid occurs when you are pregnant. for pigd i think i put a cross for during pregnancy and a tixk for using embryos.
Reply 997
PIGD was before pregnancy because you're making the embryo's yourself to test them. prenatal is during pregnancy.
Reply 998
to find healthy genes which can produce a functional CFTR protein. The gene is extracted using restriction enzymes. The enzymes are also used to cut out a place in plasmid. The gene is added to the plasmid using ligase enzymes. The plasmid is then added to a vector such as a virus. Allow the virus to culture then inject into patient. The virus then infects cells to produce new cells temporarily to produce cells with have functioning CFTR proteins tehrefore leading to a less stickier mucus

I wrote something similiar. The normal allele for the cftr protein/allele is obtaitained. This is going to be introduced into tsrget cells. the allele is inserted into a vector. For example a virus. A nebuliser is used so that the vector/allele enters the body.
Reply 999
PIGD was before pregnancy because you're making the embryo's yourself to test them. prenatal is during pregnancy.

You need to be pregnant to have the embryo at first

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending