The Student Room Group

Unofficial Mark scheme: AQA GCSE Biology Paper 1 Triple Higher Tier 16th May 2023

Unofficial Mark scheme: AQA GCSE Biology Paper 1 Triple Higher Tier 16th May 2023

:woo: Well done on completing the exam everyone! :woo:

This thread is to share your answers, I'll collate them later on today into this Original Post. :smile: Between us this should create an unofficial mark scheme, allowing people to get an idea of their performance in this exam. :yy:

Answers

Question 1:
1.1 What is a tissue?
Group of cells working together to perform a common function.
1.2 meristem tissue
1.3 Willow
1.4 1440 mg
1.5 Why did they use the berries?
Suggested answers - Berries could be extracted without hindering growth of the plant
-
-
-

Question 2:

Question 3:
3.1 Bacteria produce toxins that damage healthy cells
3.2 Vaccines and herd immunity question

Question 4: The heart
4.1 Where are the pacemaker cells located?
Right Atrium
4.3 Identify 2? (3?) Structural differences between arteries and veins
- Arteries have relatively smaller lumen whereas veins have relatively larger lumen
- Arteries have thicker elastic and muscular walls whereas veins have thinner elastic and muscular walls
4.4 Effect of a partly blocked coronary arteries on the body (6 marks)

Question 5:

Question 6: Leaf
1) 6.9
2) Why green light made the leaf disks float higher?
3) Why blue light made the.disks float sooner?
4) State one reason why the paper disc C wasn't dipped in any antibiotic?
To check if there are any unwanted substances on the paper discs that may affect the results
Why should Antibiotic B be used instead of Antibiotic A? (2 marks)
So they don't float to the top of the solution
5) Why was sodium hydrocarbonate solution used instead of water?
Carbon dioxide from the solution can be used. Ensures that CO2 is not the limiting factor/ CO2 is plentiful so more photosynthesis
6) Describe the results of blue and green light on the clorophyll with evidence from the two graphs. (4 marks)
One answer:
the wavelength of blue light was around 450. On the graph, this showed that around 82% of sunlight was absorbed. This means more photosynthesis and so more oxygen produced so less time is needed for the leaf discs to reach the surface.

Wavelength of green light was around 500~600. On the graph, it showed that only ~2% of sunlight was absorbed. This means less photosynthesis and so less oxygen produced so more time is needed for the leaf discs to reach the surface.

Questions which don't currently have positions or answers:

Describe 2 effects of Anaerobic respiration on the body? (4 marks?)
- Heavy breathing
- More frequent breathes
- Lactic acid in muscles

Describe an investigation on athletes during different types of exercises have different heart rates? (6 marks)
One answer:
Track athelete heart rate with heart monitor and fitness tracker. Instruct athelete to do running and cardio based exercises (swimming, jogging.) Record BPM for each exercise and ensure 3-4 minute rest recovery and rehydration. Also light intensity to prevent exhaustion. Then move onto another exercise type like weightlifting for high reps and light weight on different exercises like bench press, deadlift, squat. Measure Heart BPM and ensure rest and recovery. Then calculate mean BPM and compare the results with the cardio exercises

Why did antibiotic B not destroy salmonella bacteria anymore?
Bacteria mutated to become resistant to antibiotic B

Describe the effect of the vaccine on the chickens immune system and how it prevents epidemics in humans

How could the scientist decide which antibiotic was better for salmonella?
Measure the diameter.
Divide by 2 and multiply by pi for each antibiotic.
Compare.
Whichever is higher is better
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

1.4 = why do they use the berries

Asexual vs Sexual question:
Sexual is via Mitosis and Asexual is via Meiosis

"The test one" :
C
'The one with both of them blue'

Question 4: The heart
Where are the pacemaker cells located?
Right Atrium

Multiple choice:
A and C
A and D
B and C
(some confusion here, AC most common answers so far)

Design an experiment investigating the effect of different forms of exercise. (6 marks)

Questiom about a cow fighting a pathogen:
B lymphocytes engulf the cells once the antibodies deactivate the pathogen?

2 aseptic techniques to culture bacteria:
1. Sterilise all equipment used including the work bench
2 - pass through inoculating flame through a bensen burner
3 - wearing gloves

How could the scientist decide which antibiotic was better for salmonella?
Measure the diameter of the inhibition zone???

Final Question:
1) 6.9
2) Why green light made the leaf disks float higher?
3) Why blue light made the.disks float sooner?
Rough answers at the moment:

1.1 What is a tissue?
Group of cells working together to perform a common function.

1.5 Berries could be extracted without hindering growth of the plant

2/3 Structural differences between arteries and veins
- Arteries have relatively smaller lumen whereas veins have relatively larger lumen
- Arteries have thicker elastic and muscular walls whereas veins have thinner elastic and muscular walls

3.1 Bacteria produce toxins that damage healthy cells

Line of best fit:
19-23

Give 3 differences between asexual and sexual reproduction?(3 marks)
Sexual takes longer
Sexual has genetic variation
Sexual uses more energy
Asexual has genetically identical offspring/daughter vells
Asexual takes less time
Asexual uses less energy
What are 2 aseptic techniques used for growing bacteria experiment?(2 marks)
Why can scientists grow bacteria at 35C but students grow bacteria at 25C? (3 marks)

Describe an investigation on athletes during different types of exercises have different heart rates? (6 marks)
Describe 2 effects of Anaerobic respiration on the body? (4 marks)

State one reason why the paper disc C wasn't dipped in any antibiotic? Why should Antibiotic B be used instead of Antibiotic A?(2 marks)

So they don't float to the top of the solution

Describe the effect of the vaccine on the chickens immune system and how it prevents epidemics in humans
(edited 11 months ago)
Hi everyone,

I'm tagging in all users who have posted in the Paper 1 exam chat. This is the space if you want to work together and put together an unofficial markscheme. Please read above!

EH

AQA Biology Higher Triple Paper 1

Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17

This thread is to share your answers, I'll collate them later on today into this Original Post. :smile: Between us this should create an unofficial mark scheme, allowing people to get an idea of their performance in this exam. :yy:

Answers

etc.

oh no - this is a cheats charter for 2023/4. Please can this thread be hidden after August 2023?
Original post by 04MR17

Answers

etc.

for the math question [i think it was 1.4 or 1.5] i got 1.44 ??
Reply 6
1.1 -> a group of similar cells that come together to perform a common function
1.2 -> meristem tissue

1.4 i think was the calculation and i got 1440 and so did many others

Original post by 04MR17

Answers

etc.
Original post by littlenebulae
for the math question [i think it was 1.4 or 1.5] i got 1.44 ??

It's 1440 you had to convert to milligrams by multiplying by 1000
Reply 8
Original post by 04MR17

Answers

etc.

1.2 meristem
1.3 willow
1.4 1440 mg
As there has been some agreement on 1.2 and 1.4 I've added them into the OP for now! Just to let you know @04MR17
Reply 10
Original post by Evil Homer
As there has been some agreement on 1.2 and 1.4 I've added them into the OP for now! Just to let you know @04MR17

1.3 was willow

3.1 i think was bacteria produce toxins that damage healthy cells
Original post by judezy
1.3 was willow

3.1 i think was bacteria produce toxins that damage healthy cells

I've added 1.3 as we've had agreement ( for now! ) :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by 04MR17

Answers

1.2 meristem tissue
1.3 Willow
1.4 1440 mg

etc.

tissues are a group of cells working together on a particular function (1 or 2 marks)
Reply 13
Original post by Jurix152
tissues are a group of cells working together on a particular function (1 or 2 marks)

this was for 1.1
Reply 14
I'm useless at remembering question numbers but there was one near the beginning that was like why do they use berries and not leaves or roots. I think the answer was that the berries could be extracted without hindering growth of the plant
Reply 15
Original post by Caotica
I'm useless at remembering question numbers but there was one near the beginning that was like why do they use berries and not leaves or roots. I think the answer was that the berries could be extracted without hindering growth of the plant

i think this was 1.5? it was after the calculation i think and yes i got similar but i wrote that removing the leaves and roots would kill the plant
Reply 16
Original post by judezy
i think this was 1.5? it was after the calculation i think and yes i got similar but i wrote that removing the leaves and roots would kill the plant

I said that using berries would be easier to extact on the contrary of leaves and roots
would i get marks for that
Reply 17
Original post by 04MR17

Answers

1.2 meristem tissue
1.3 Willow
1.4 1440 mg

etc.

somwhere i think it was question 2 or 3, there was a question on the structural differences between arteries and veins
-> arteries have relatively smaller lumen whereas veins have relatively larger lumen
-> arteries have thicker elastic and muscular walls whereas veins have thinner elastic and muscle walls
Reply 18
If you put 14.4 mg would you still get a couple of marks?
Reply 19
Original post by judezy
somwhere i think it was question 2 or 3, there was a question on the structural differences between arteries and veins
-> arteries have relatively smaller lumen whereas veins have relatively larger lumen
-> arteries have thicker elastic and muscular walls whereas veins have thinner elastic and muscle walls

Yep - think you could also mention veins having valves?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending