The Student Room Group

11th January 2012 - 6BIO1 - edexcel biology unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alex Dom
If there is such question as the filling up the female obesity and overweight for japan I think it's utter non-sense. I finished my exam with 10 minutes to spare and went through all of it. I did not see this supposed question as it wasn't displayed clearly. Apparently this is worth 3 marks. A big chunk for a hidden question.

I know - it was definitely there. My biology teacher had the paper today and I flicked through to that question JUST to make sure it was there, and guess what? It was hidden in all its glory slap-bang in the middle of the stupid question.

Original post by aqua05
PIGD ? :s

Pre implantation genetic diagnosis :smile: It was one of the options I believe, or as far as I can remember...
Original post by Harantony
It definitely said embryonic cells. I can't actually remember the box options. I just guessed what they were from my memory but I definitely alternated the x and tick :smile:

THANK YOU. I thought I was going crazy, it turns out it DID say embryonic cells after all phew :smile:
Original post by StudyBoy123
do you lose marks if you have spelt anime group wrong. and if you write carboxyl instead of carboxylic

It's meant to be carboxyl I thought. And they usually accept amine, amino or anything which looks like it and definitely is meant to say one of those two.
Reply 1183
It's meant to be carboxyl I thought. And they usually accept amine, amino or anything which looks like it and definitely is meant to say one of those two.

Its called carboxyl, or carboxylic acid in chemistry.

It can be called amine or amino group, technically amino group is more correct
Reply 1184
I know - it was definitely there. My biology teacher had the paper today and I flicked through to that question JUST to make sure it was there, and guess what? It was hidden in all its glory slap-bang in the middle of the stupid question.

Pre implantation genetic diagnosis :smile: It was one of the options I believe, or as far as I can remember...

Did you answer it in the exam? Did you see it? And was it worth 3 marks?

No, no and yes. I now officially loath edexcel (more than I already did).
Reply 1186

I didnt see it in the exam, along with 50% of everyone else.

It was definetly 3 marks
Reply 1187
what about the thing that affects membrane fluidity!?? cholesterol or phospholipids??
Reply 1188
No, no and yes. I now officially loath edexcel (more than I already did).

I have an edexcel chemistry exam tomorrow.
I'm gonna be v. careful now!
Reply 1189
First they make an un-answerable question, and now one that it takes a ninja to even find it. Appalling! The better remove it or set that grade boundry for an A very low....
Original post by xxicmxx
what about the thing that affects membrane fluidity!?? cholesterol or phospholipids??

Cholesterol was definitely the correct answer, because cholesterol affects the movement of the phospholipids.
Reply 1191
Original post by xxicmxx

cholesterol
Reply 1192
First they make an un-answerable question, and now one that it takes a ninja to even find it. Appalling! The better remove it or set that grade boundry for an A very low....

I agree, i think that if enough people got i wrong then its fine.
Reply 1193
Original post by xxicmxx

If you read in your biology book I belive you will find that cholesterol plays a very important part in the cell membrane. Giving it its composure, to be more fluid or dense depending on the amount of cholesterol.
Reply 1194
Im pretty sure it is cholestrol. What were the other choices?
Reply 1195
I thought the grade boundries where always the same? 80% for an A 70% for B?
I thought the grade boundries where always the same? 80% for an A 70% for B?

No, they go up and down according to how people found it; the exam board MUST give a certain percentage of the candidates an A and the boundaries shift like that. The UMS score is always at 80% for an A, 70% for a B but the raw mark shifts and the UMS conversion equation changes to create these 80%/70% etc boundaries.
Reply 1197
Original post by Naik100
Im pretty sure it is cholestrol. What were the other choices?

Same. The other options were proteins, phospholipids and I can't remember the other.
hi, can someone answer a few questions ive got for this exam , like how many marks youd think id get for the folllowing questions that im not that sure about? thankyouu :biggrin:
1. on the first question, i asked about how the primary structure effects the tertiatry stucture of an enzyme. i put that the primary sructure is the sequence of amino acids in the molecule. information from the dna code on the chromosomes on the nucleus are transcribed and translated into information on the polypeptide chains of the primary structure, and it is this infromation in the primary strucure that determines how the polypeptide chains of the primary stucture fold into the scondary and tertiary stuctures of the enzyme, and determine the specific shape of the active site produced and the type, stength and positon of the bonds within the 3D tertiary structure. i thought that would get me 1/3 as i dont think i answered the question properly :s
2. on the amoeba 4 mark question with the diagram, i put: oxygen diffuses in and co2 diffuses out of the cell. it can do this efficiently as it has a large surace area to volume ratio with short distance form outside to inside of cell. then i stupidly went on to talk about a phospholipid bilayer and how the lipid soluble oxygen molecules diffise in passively due to being able to be soluble in the hydrophobic hydrocarbon lipid tails. on the following 2 mark question on how oxygen diffuses into aboeba cell and goes to centre, i put: oxygen diffuses in from high to low concentration, dissolves in cytoplasm after being lipid solouble and moves to centre of cell. i then went on to talk a bot moe about the bilayer :s
3. in the beetroot experiment question, the final 2 parts of the question im not sure about. it asked for 2 marks why there was still a little bit of coloration in the 1st girls test tube at 5 degrees. i put that she forgot to rinse and dry them so as the membrane is damaged a bit when the beetroot pieces are cut, a little bit of the red fluid leaks out of cells. this didnt happen in second girls experiment as her beetroot cells would still be quite impermeabe as no red fluid could diffuse out anymore as she rinsed and dried them after cutting. then it asked for 1 mark, give ONE way in which the girls description of the experiment would differ. i put that the 1st girls would day that at 5 degrees , her beetroot membranes were a little permeable as she saw a little pink fluid in the test tube, but the second girl would say that at a temp of 5 degrees the membranes were still impermeable as thre was no coloring in her test tube.
4. on the glycogen question, on the last part for 3 marks where it sed with reference to the graph and your knowledge, explain why glycogen is good or sumthing at high exercize intensities and giv example. i put in a 100 m race, where exercizing at high intensity, an athelete would get all the energy from carbs according to the graph, and this is good as this will give them energy straight away as the 1,6 glycosidic bonds can be broken in hydrolysis to easily break of many branches in glycogen for fast release of enegy. would this get me 2 or 3 out of 3?
5. on the h2o2 experiment i think i got 0/4. all i said was that when varied concentrations of h2o2 is added to each mussel tissue, the more active tissue will have enzymes that break it down the fastest prodcing most oxygen in syringe or sumthing :s would i have got at least 1/4?? on the graph part of this question, it asked a 3 mark question to give conclusions on activities of tissues in specidically one mussel. i said tissue Z activity had over double the activity of the other 2 but i cant remeber if i specifically said it had higher activity (imsure i did lol) but i knoe defo i said double, i said the other 2 tissues had similar activities, and i gave numerical data 0 the only thing i didnt say was that tissue y had the lowest activity. do u think this would get me 3/3? on the next 2 mark part of the question, it asked to compare activity of each tissue in both mussels. i said tissue y had equal activities for both mussels, i said one tissue had a slightly higher activity in mussel z, and one ttissue had a slightly higher activity than the other on the other tisse, (i cant specifically remember whchi one was which) - would this get me 2/2?
6. the gene therapy and genetic screening question. for the boxes i put a tick for PIGD using embryonic cells, and a cross for it being screened before pregnancy. i put a tick for prenatal screening before pregnancy and also a tick for taking embryonic cells for prenatal screening. for the 2 mark question asking what ethical or social issue genetic (prenatal screening) has, i put that theres a small risk of spontaneous abortion and that this is an ethical issue as how do we know the baby (fetus) cant feel? for the 2 marker asking something general about y we use gene therapy or sumthing BEFORE the 3 mark question asking how to carry out gene therapy using vectors etc. , i put that so a normal gene can be inserted into cells to replace faulty alleles that cause an inherited disorder, i was hoping this would get me 1/2? :s
7.on the ahteroscrosis, cvd and statin question, did it ask "give 2 things that increase risk of cvds?" coz i put smoking and lack of exercize, i hope that was the correct question haha. for the definition of genotype, i dont know of i put it correct - i put its the genetic info passed from parents to offspring and its the organisms genes that could be homo dominant, hetero dominant or homo recessive. for the 2 marker on risks of plant statins, is this the same risks for normal statins? how many marks would i get out of 2 if i put that it causes muscle infammation, liver failure and side effects of diahorrea, constipation, and joint and muscle aches?
8. for the final question, if 2 bars were the same height exactly, does that mean that those 2 countries had equal numbers of OVERWEIGHT people (could have been men or women but i cant remember, i think it was a multiple choice one :smile: ). and for the reasons why the number of oberse men and women in japan arent equal, even though its shown as equal by the graph, i put: not enogh people in survey, as only very small amounts of people and that there could be morbidly obese people in japan that would hence be counted in the obese catagory. would that maybe get me 1/2? :s for the last 3 marker i tihnk i got 0/3. all i said was that gluecose only started staying constant after corn syrip startrd to rise, and that only when corr syrip rised 2 years before hand, gluocuse curve increased a little, and that the dextrin couldnt have caused anything because it decreased, but in the exami wrote it really poorly with simple terminology due to rushing to finish :s , would i get 1/3? thank youuuuuuu :biggrin: :biggrin: xxx
Reply 1199
Original post by a.crawford
hi, can someone answer a few questions ive got for this exam , like how many marks youd think id get for the folllowing questions that im not that sure about? thankyouu :biggrin:
1. on the first question, i asked about how the primary structure effects the tertiatry stucture of an enzyme. i put that the primary sructure is the sequence of amino acids in the molecule. information from the dna code on the chromosomes on the nucleus are transcribed and translated into information on the polypeptide chains of the primary structure, and it is this infromation in the primary strucure that determines how the polypeptide chains of the primary stucture fold into the scondary and tertiary stuctures of the enzyme, and determine the specific shape of the active site produced and the type, stength and positon of the bonds within the 3D tertiary structure. i thought that would get me 1/3 as i dont think i answered the question properly :s
2. on the amoeba 4 mark question with the diagram, i put: oxygen diffuses in and co2 diffuses out of the cell. it can do this efficiently as it has a large surace area to volume ratio with short distance form outside to inside of cell. then i stupidly went on to talk about a phospholipid bilayer and how the lipid soluble oxygen molecules diffise in passively due to being able to be soluble in the hydrophobic hydrocarbon lipid tails. on the following 2 mark question on how oxygen diffuses into aboeba cell and goes to centre, i put: oxygen diffuses in from high to low concentration, dissolves in cytoplasm after being lipid solouble and moves to centre of cell. i then went on to talk a bot moe about the bilayer :s
3. in the beetroot experiment question, the final 2 parts of the question im not sure about. it asked for 2 marks why there was still a little bit of coloration in the 1st girls test tube at 5 degrees. i put that she forgot to rinse and dry them so as the membrane is damaged a bit when the beetroot pieces are cut, a little bit of the red fluid leaks out of cells. this didnt happen in second girls experiment as her beetroot cells would still be quite impermeabe as no red fluid could diffuse out anymore as she rinsed and dried them after cutting. then it asked for 1 mark, give ONE way in which the girls description of the experiment would differ. i put that the 1st girls would day that at 5 degrees , her beetroot membranes were a little permeable as she saw a little pink fluid in the test tube, but the second girl would say that at a temp of 5 degrees the membranes were still impermeable as thre was no coloring in her test tube.
4. on the glycogen question, on the last part for 3 marks where it sed with reference to the graph and your knowledge, explain why glycogen is good or sumthing at high exercize intensities and giv example. i put in a 100 m race, where exercizing at high intensity, an athelete would get all the energy from carbs according to the graph, and this is good as this will give them energy straight away as the 1,6 glycosidic bonds can be broken in hydrolysis to easily break of many branches in glycogen for fast release of enegy. would this get me 2 or 3 out of 3?
5. on the h2o2 experiment i think i got 0/4. all i said was that when varied concentrations of h2o2 is added to each mussel tissue, the more active tissue will have enzymes that break it down the fastest prodcing most oxygen in syringe or sumthing :s would i have got at least 1/4?? on the graph part of this question, it asked a 3 mark question to give conclusions on activities of tissues in specidically one mussel. i said tissue Z activity had over double the activity of the other 2 but i cant remeber if i specifically said it had higher activity (imsure i did lol) but i knoe defo i said double, i said the other 2 tissues had similar activities, and i gave numerical data 0 the only thing i didnt say was that tissue y had the lowest activity. do u think this would get me 3/3? on the next 2 mark part of the question, it asked to compare activity of each tissue in both mussels. i said tissue y had equal activities for both mussels, i said one tissue had a slightly higher activity in mussel z, and one ttissue had a slightly higher activity than the other on the other tisse, (i cant specifically remember whchi one was which) - would this get me 2/2?
6. the gene therapy and genetic screening question. for the boxes i put a tick for PIGD using embryonic cells, and a cross for it being screened before pregnancy. i put a tick for prenatal screening before pregnancy and also a tick for taking embryonic cells for prenatal screening. for the 2 mark question asking what ethical or social issue genetic (prenatal screening) has, i put that theres a small risk of spontaneous abortion and that this is an ethical issue as how do we know the baby (fetus) cant feel? for the 2 marker asking something general about y we use gene therapy or sumthing BEFORE the 3 mark question asking how to carry out gene therapy using vectors etc. , i put that so a normal gene can be inserted into cells to replace faulty alleles that cause an inherited disorder, i was hoping this would get me 1/2? :s
7.on the ahteroscrosis, cvd and statin question, did it ask "give 2 things that increase risk of cvds?" coz i put smoking and lack of exercize, i hope that was the correct question haha. for the definition of genotype, i dont know of i put it correct - i put its the genetic info passed from parents to offspring and its the organisms genes that could be homo dominant, hetero dominant or homo recessive. for the 2 marker on risks of plant statins, is this the same risks for normal statins? how many marks would i get out of 2 if i put that it causes muscle infammation, liver failure and side effects of diahorrea, constipation, and joint and muscle aches?
8. for the final question, if 2 bars were the same height exactly, does that mean that those 2 countries had equal numbers of OVERWEIGHT people (could have been men or women but i cant remember, i think it was a multiple choice one :smile: ). and for the reasons why the number of oberse men and women in japan arent equal, even though its shown as equal by the graph, i put: not enogh people in survey, as only very small amounts of people and that there could be morbidly obese people in japan that would hence be counted in the obese catagory. would that maybe get me 1/2? :s for the last 3 marker i tihnk i got 0/3. all i said was that gluecose only started staying constant after corn syrip startrd to rise, and that only when corr syrip rised 2 years before hand, gluocuse curve increased a little, and that the dextrin couldnt have caused anything because it decreased, but in the exami wrote it really poorly with simple terminology due to rushing to finish :s , would i get 1/3? thank youuuuuuu :biggrin: :biggrin: xxx

Your answers show elements of understanding but your poor-wording may lose you many marks as the examiner may not fully understand what you're saying. You go on on and on when really as succinct, one-sentence response is necessary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending