The Student Room Group

What's the reaction between potassium iodide and sulfuric acid?

I tried looking it up on google, but I was getting mixed answers.

Is it going to be similar to the reaction between sulfuric acid and potassium bromide?

One was saying that KI and H2SO4 would produce potassium sulfate and hydrogen iodide. Another says, potassium hydrogensulfate and hydrogen iodide.

I guess the hydrogen iodide would then react with sulfuric acid to produce iodine,
sulfur dioxide, and water.
Several reactions occur:

KI(s) + H2SO4(l) \longrightarrow KHSO4(s) + HI(g)

Iodide ions are strong reducing agents so they reduce the sulphur in sulphuric acid even further so that SO2, S and H2S (Hydrogen sulphide) are produced. The SO42- ions are first reduced to SO2, then to S, and then to H2S.

8H+ + 8I- + H2SO4(l) \longrightarrow H2S(g) + 4H2O(l) + 4I2(s)

That's based on what the AQA textbook says and what I was taught anyway, there may be other products not included there.

The reaction is different to the reaction with Bromide ions because Iodide ions are stronger reducing agents. Hope that helps
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Chrisofsmeg
Several reactions occur:

KI(s) + H2SO4(l) \longrightarrow KHSO4(s) + HI(g)

Iodide ions are strong reducing agents so they reduce the sulphur in sulphuric acid even further so that SO2, S and H2S (Hydrogen sulphide) are produced. The SO42- ions are first reduced to SO2, then to S, and then to H2S.

8H+ + 8I- + H2SO4(l) \longrightarrow H2S(g) + 4H2O(l) + 4I2(s)

That's based on what the AQA textbook says and what I was taught anyway, there may be other products not included there.

The reaction is different to the reaction with Bromide ions because Iodide ions are stronger reducing agents. Hope that helps

searched this on google just now, thanks :wink:
Reply 3
8H+ + 8I- + H2SO4(l) H2S(g) + 4H2O(l) + 4I2(s) = 8cH20 (g)

Quick Reply

Latest