The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM2 ~ May 23rd 2012 ~ AS Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

It can take a while to load on screen, but its downloadable for anyone that still needs it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Does anyone know if there has been an examination question asking you to outline a nucleophilic substitution mechanism using ammonia?

I haven't seen one and I don't want to look through my last two papers yet as I'm planning to do them in exam conditions.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 982

Thanks that's great, although I don't think that's the mark scheme
Original post by Picture~Perfect
Does anyone know if there has been an examination question asking you to outline a nucleophilic substitution mechanism using ammonia?

I haven't seen one and I don't want to look through my last two papers yet as I'm planning to do them in exam conditions.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

yep its definitely come up once!
YEH SAME, u hav give the URL for the same thing.. they are both for the 2012 QP, theres no mark scheme
Picture~Perfect, sorry i know thats not ur name... but i dont know ur name so.... nways plz attach mark scheme for 2012 ppr, uve attached QP twice!!
Can anyone help me with this.
Do you use concentrated sulphuric acid for aldehyde to carboxyllic? Because the textbook says that but I've seen it as aqueous in other places. What are you guys going to write?
Sorry about that I've put up the new link.
Original post by -Liberty
Do you use concentrated sulphuric acid for aldehyde to carboxyllic? Because the textbook says that but I've seen it as aqueous in other places. What are you guys going to write?

When oxidising alcohols to aldehydes/keytones or an aldehyde to a carboxylic acid you use acidified potassium dichromate, which is the oxidising agent. To get an aldehyde you use a small amount of potassium dichromate acidified with dilute sulphuric acid and to get a carboxylic acid you use excess potassium dichromate acidified with concentrated sulphuric acid.
I Hope that helps clear things up. :smile:
Hey what's the equation for reaction of NaBr(s) with H2SO4? BOth stages, coz someone has altered it in my book...

I think first stage is NaBr+H2SO4->HBr+NaHSO4
Second stage in my book is 2H+ + 2Br- + H2SO4 -> SO2 + Br2 + 2H2O

Is that correct?

Its acidified pottasium dichromate! and colour change is from orange-green (observation) :smile:
Sorry about that I've put up the new link.

wheres the new link??
When oxidising alcohols to aldehydes/keytones or an aldehyde to a carboxylic acid you use acidified potassium dichromate, which is the oxidising agent. To get an aldehyde you use a small amount of potassium dichromate acidified with dilute sulphuric acid and to get a carboxylic acid you use excess potassium dichromate acidified with concentrated sulphuric acid.

So it's
alcohol --> aldehyde/ketone
postassium dichromate
dilute sulphuric acid
distillation

alcohol --> aldehyde ---> carboxyllic acid
potassium dichromate
reflux
heat
CONC sulphuric acid

Is this correct?
do you guys have study leave?

I'v never heard anything about adding H2so4, where did u lot get that from, :confused::confused::s-smilie::s-smilie:my teachers neva tol me.. and av checked my book again and all it says is...

Primary, secondary and tertiary alcohols can be distinguished by simple oxidation reactions using acidified potassium dichromate as an oxidising agent.!!:cool:
So it's
alcohol --> aldehyde/ketone
postassium dichromate
dilute sulphuric acid
distillation

alcohol --> aldehyde ---> carboxyllic acid
potassium dichromate
reflux
heat
CONC sulphuric acid

Is this correct?

:o:S:confused::s-smilie::confused::s-smilie::confused::s-smilie::confused::redface:

i really dont get what u lot r onna bout!!
HELP PLEASE

I am looking on the mark scheme for mechanisms and is says "max one mark for the use of sticks" what does this mean?
Ok... I have found this ... it has helped (sort of).

When you lot were talking about H2so4 did you mean the oxidising mixture can be made from potassium dichromate and sulphuric acid ?

anways this is what i am using..
its quite good.. u can print out and add in ur notes!!

http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/FEAndVocational/Science/ALevelBiology/ASandA2OCRBiology/Samples/A2StretchandChallengeSamplePages/Sp_1_1_10.pdf
Original post by hus11128386
Ok... I have found this ... it has helped (sort of).

When you lot were talking about H2so4 did you mean the oxidising mixture can be made from potassium dichromate and sulphuric acid ?

anways this is what i am using..
its quite good.. u can print out and add in ur notes!!

http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/FEAndVocational/Science/ALevelBiology/ASandA2OCRBiology/Samples/A2StretchandChallengeSamplePages/Sp_1_1_10.pdf

Yes, the oxidising agent is acidified potassium dichromate it is acidified with sulphuric acid.
wheres the new link??

In the original post but here
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=518dbdd4f043877a#cid=518DBDD4F043877A&id=518DBDD4F043877A%21194

I'v never heard anything about adding H2so4, where did u lot get that from, :confused::confused::s-smilie::s-smilie:my teachers neva tol me.. and av checked my book again and all it says is...

Primary, secondary and tertiary alcohols can be distinguished by simple oxidation reactions using acidified potassium dichromate as an oxidising agent.!!:cool:

I'm using the Nelson Thornes textbook in which it clearly states that the oxidising agent is acidified potassium dichromate, it is acidified with sulphuric acid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending